Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewage smell from waste vent pipe

Options
  • 24-06-2018 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. We have recently had some work done to our house and replaced a downstairs toilet. The old toilet waste pipe had no vent on the pipe, it was just out the wall and into the ground with a cap instead of the raised vented pipe. No smell or issues for over 25 years.
    The new build has a raised vented pipe which in emmiting a foul smell. I have kids in the yard and a baby due any minute, don't want a foul smell feet from young kids. Can I just cap this new vented pipe like the old one or is there a filter I can fit to it. The builder said raising it by 300mm will sort it. Waste of time and 300mm of pipe.

I just cut a large sponge and pished it into the top. The smell was to much and the neigbhours were onto me about it. Any permanent suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If the distance from the water in the pan is 1.5m or less from the bottom of the sewer pipe under the ground, and the pipe from the pan has no other connections, then no vent is required.
    If this is the case you may cap it off with an inspection cap end fitting.
    If other connections have been made onto the pipe then there may be the need for open ventilation.
    Otherwise open vent soil stacks must terminate at least 0.9 m above the highest opening point, air intake or eaves.
    Refer to Buildings Technical Guidance Document H, Drainage and Waste Water Disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

K.Flyer wrote: »
    If the distance from the water in the pan is 1.5m or less from the bottom of the sewer pipe under the ground, and the pipe from the pan has no other connections, then no vent is required.
    If this is the case you may cap it off with an inspection cap end fitting.
    If other connections have been made onto the pipe then there may be the need for open ventilation.
    Otherwise open vent soil stacks must terminate at least 0.9 m above the highest opening point, air intake or eaves.
    Refer to Buildings Technical Guidance Document H, Drainage and Waste Water Disposal.

Excellent. There are no other connections and the sewer drain cover it it is connected to is about 600mm from the vent stack base. I'm just going to cap it. Thanks for your reply

Advertisement