Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help.

Options
  • 24-06-2018 5:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Straight A honours student until mid fifth year where i was forced to start working so my mom and i would have a place to stay. Needless to say, failed my leaving cert and missed over 70 percent of the school year. Worked for a year then decided to do a plc course, which again i couldn't even finish due to work. Just curious on how i can even be considered for a college placement now, my results on paper really do not do justice to my intellectual ability. The real kicker is the fact that i did english maths and physics grinds with 4 students who ended up getting h1s :D. If anyone has an opinion please shoot :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Why dont you do an access course or another plc? Then transfer to college.

Are you still working? You sound like you really resent the fact of having missed out on the grades you were capable of and its understandable. Hoping your mam is in a better position financially as it must be a burden having to work to support you both. Im assuming you have somewhere to live now. There is nothing to stop you going back to education and its admirable that you took that time out to earn money to support your mam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 val3tntine

That's my problem, how am i supposed to enter college with the track record i already have. Even if i do a level 5/6 course, the CAO has my LC as well as the other failed PLC course, and on top of that, i still have to work to support both of us so education altogether is out of the question. Just pissed off at life i guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

You could wait till you're 23 and go to college as a mature student? As far as I know, they don't really look at your LC results when you go back as a mature student. I would say maybe try and look into going back as soon as you can if that's what you want and can work around the grades, but if not, all is not lost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

val3tntine wrote:
    That's my problem, how am i supposed to enter college with the track record i already have. Even if i do a level 5/6 course, the CAO has my LC as well as the other failed PLC course, and on top of that, i still have to work to support both of us so education altogether is out of the question. Just pissed off at life i guess

Are you working full time? If your mam is not working she could get jobseekers allowance or disability depending on her circumstance. The hap scheme for housing would pay for a large proportion of your rent. While it is admirable to work for you both, and without knowing the full circumstances, you have one life and its important to find a better way and an easier way to take some of the load off you. you can apply for the susi grant for tuition fees and a maintenance grant. But i would encourage you to take up another plc in what you are interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 stargazer9

You could always repeat the leaving cert. I had to do that to get into college as I didn't do well the first time around due to health problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement