Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of leaving permanent position am I mad?

Options
  • 22-06-2018 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi. I'm working in a secondary school for about ten years. I'm not really happy here anymore and thinking of resigning and looking for something new. My subjects would be considered "good" and I want a change. The school I'm in has a lot of staff politics going on and this is something I'm sick of.

The issues are that my present school is close to where we live, and the job is permanent. Looking for advice as to whether I'd be crazy to give up this permanent job to go back to the days of looking for CIDs, doing mat leaves etc. My husband has gone back to college to retrain and I am the main breadwinner for the next 2 yrs.

Would love to get some objective opinions or experiences from anyone who's done this? Part of me feels that life's too short to be miserable in a job, but the realistic part of me knows that the mortgage and childcare still has to be paid for! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭miketheDIYman

Its not an ideal time as your husband has gone back to college, don't resign until you have secured another job, bear in mind how much time you may have to spend in traffic and extra petrol costs too and there's politics in every job - just a few observations !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Plus it looks strange if you're moving after 10 years and it's not to get closer to home or move closer to a partner etc, you already have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Perhap look at another area in the public service where you can carry across your pensionable service.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bananaben

I am in exactly the same boat really. cant help but wish I knew the answer to stay or go ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

There was a post on Voice for Teachers during the week from a teacher who had spent 15 years in a school took the plunge and moved closer to home and was promised that the job would be there again next year and not to worry. Anyway as things went, teacher goes to second RPT contract and doesn't get it. So now he/she is starting off again. I presume it took you a long time to build up to your CID - do you want to do that again? Would not consider a career break and sub in other schools? You obviously can't apply for maternity/parental leaves etc. but you could you survive on subbing/social welfare and I think the department raised the amount of hours you can teach while on career break? Remember there are politics in every school. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I wouldn't worry about being asked in interview - you just felt that you wanted a change. Life is too short. You have time to think about it. Best of luck with your decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

You are mad.
    Dont do it.
    You will NEVER get the same terms again.
    You might never get a permanent job again -ever.
    You have it good.
    Every-ones lives are jobs have politics and problems but giving up a cash cow and all that goes with it for a 100% risk is just feckless.

If after the 2 years of supporting your husband you arn't having a family, look to trying for secondment somewhere -keeping your pay, promotion and perks. There might be internal non teaching roles that might attract you - maybe if you are so bored and unhappy you could do a retraining course at night which might make you more employable in the general non-teaching workforce and easier to get an attractive job.
    Otherwise you are just swapping a dull safe easy political job for a high risk, lower paid, unstable political job with different people,less rights and unnecessary financial unstability and a precarious future.
    Those stats about 0% unemployment - they are at least 20% out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 helenl711

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I wouldn't dream of resigning until I have something else, but I'm wondering is it still as tough out there as it was a few years ago to get a CID? I was very lucky in my present post that I was made permanent pretty early into my teaching career, so have really never know the torture of chasing CIDs/ RPT contracts etc. This is really the biggest concern for me when I'm thinking about resigning.

Working in my present school has become very very hard. Without giving too much away, I was passed over for promotion this year. Therefore, I feel very undervalued in my workplace. This deliberation over changing schools is not a knee-jerk reaction to this, this all happened pre-Xmas. And I do know that politics happen in every school.

Regarding my husband retraining, he got a good redundancy package so while I would like to maintain my current salary he's assured me that I shouldn't just be staying where I am for the sake of our finances if I'm increasingly unhappy there. The idea of secondment/ career break does not appeal to me as I really do love being in the classroom teaching. Thanks!

helenl711 wrote: »

I wouldn't dream of resigning until I have something else, but I'm wondering is it still as tough out there as it was a few years ago to get a CID? I was very lucky in my present post that I was made permanent pretty early into my teaching career, so have really never know the torture of chasing CIDs/ RPT contracts etc. This is really the biggest concern for me when I'm thinking about resigning.

Working in my present school has become very very hard. Without giving too much away, I was passed over for promotion this year. Therefore, I feel very undervalued in my workplace. This deliberation over changing schools is not a knee-jerk reaction to this, this all happened pre-Xmas. And I do know that politics happen in every school.

Regarding my husband retraining, he got a good redundancy package so while I would like to maintain my current salary he's assured me that I shouldn't just be staying where I am for the sake of our finances if I'm increasingly unhappy there. The idea of secondment/ career break does not appeal to me as I really do love being in the classroom teaching. Thanks!

It all depends on your subjects but mostly it's luck. Right time right place etc.

I would apply for whatever jobs are available this summer and if successful, then make the decision. At least then, you know that you have work for even a year.

If you are finding it difficult in your job - can you face another thirty years of it?? You're not going to enjoy your job anymore and stress and worry can lead to all sorts of problems - you're health and wellbeing are far more important than any job.

If you were to do career break - you can still teach - it also gives you a feeling what different schools are like. Depending on your subjects and area which you haven't divulged - you will probably pick up substitution as there was a demand this year. You could have a long term sick leave and without the extra pressures of the job i.e. CP hours etc.

Would you consider job share for a year and see if school would let you have Friday/Monday's off, then leaving you with only three days of stress plus you can sub away on those two days, making contacts in other schools.

Best of luck op. I hope this helps and you can make a decision which you are happy with. At the end of the day, as I said earlier, you're health is your wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lulufinn90

I said no to year 2 last year. The school was not the right fit for me. I have pretty in demand subjects and I had 3 other schools offering me 22 hours at the time. The school I went to was excellent but I got stung this year however as a person got voluntarily redeployed into my hours.
    It put a huge amount of pressure on myself and my husband as we are trying to buy a house and start a family. The only silver lining is that I was in an ETB school and the same ETB offered me another 22 hour position in a different school so I'll have CID next summer.

If you are seriously unhappy go for it but be prepared for every eventuality and the fact that you may not get year 2. Don't trust any principal or ETB until the contract is in your hand is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ulsen

In similar position, leaving long term position. Offered a teaching position, but won't receive contract till end of August. Is this normal practice to receive a contract so late, concerned terms might change when I receive contract, and I have left old job, and stopped looking for other positions.

• Advertisement

ulsen wrote: »
    In similar position, leaving long term position. Offered a teaching position, but won't receive contract till end of August. Is this normal practice to receive a contract so late, concerned terms might change when I receive contract, and I have left old job, and stopped looking for other positions.

Can you ask new principal if you could sign new contract earlier??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

helenl711 wrote:
    Hi. I'm working in a secondary school for about ten years. I'm not really happy here anymore and thinking of resigning and looking for something new. My subjects would be considered "good" and I want a change. The school I'm in has a lot of staff politics going on and this is something I'm sick of.

helenl711 wrote:
    The issues are that my present school is close to where we live, and the job is permanent. Looking for advice as to whether I'd be crazy to give up this permanent job to go back to the days of looking for CIDs, doing mat leaves etc. My husband has gone back to college to retrain and I am the main breadwinner for the next 2 yrs.

helenl711 wrote:
    Would love to get some objective opinions or experiences from anyone who's done this? Part of me feels that life's too short to be miserable in a job, but the realistic part of me knows that the mortgage and childcare still has to be paid for! Thanks.

All jobs have politics. A skill is learning to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lulufinn90

I would suggest that you ask for the offer in writing and sign something. I would also keep looking. I have learned the hard way over the years that you need to put yourself first in this job. My contract with the etb was only given to me last Feb. This year I got it within days of doing my 2nd interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Look at the above 2.

Move to a different school and you might find loads of opportunities for promotion (because nobody wants the hassle) + the classroom could be a warzone. Also in terms of promotion you might have to wait a few years to build up your reputation before another promotion opportunity comes up, and even then politics could win out.

What is the promotion really worth to you anyway, unless you're on a career path to Deputy or Principal then it'll stop at AP1. That's a good few quid a year along with the prestige, but after tax (especially if your husband starts back working and pushing you into the higher rate) is it worth the hassle? Could you make up for the money with marking or supervising during the Summer. Possibly grinds!

If you got the promotion would your timetable hours have been reduced, perhaps the principal could envisage not being able to find a replacement!

lsjmhar wrote: »
    All jobs have politics. A skill is learning to ignore it.

Orrrr play the game. I've seen manoeuvring and outmanoeuvring that would make House of Cards look like an episode of Peppa Pig. In saying that, there was never anything particularly nasty and the atmosphere in the staff room remained amicable (all's fair in love and war etc.).

Keep looking. No contract = assume there's no job. Plus the type of contact can be switched on a whim before you get it. Its quite easy to switch from RTB to career break or school paid , especially if the school is interviewing for other positions and posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 helenl711

Again, many thanks for all the detailed replies.

I've decided to start applying for some other jobs over the summer, and if called to interview and if successful, then I can make a decision. Life really is too short to be unhappy in a job, and I feel that being overlooked for this promotion has tainted my enjoyment of teaching in this school. Since Easter especially, I have just been going through the motions really.

This promotion did mean a lot to me, I've done an M.Ed and lots of additional CPD in my own time as I had always been looking towards a DP/ Principal post one day. There will not be any further posts/ promotions in my current school so I feel as well that I'm wasting my time there professionally. At least in another school, I may build up a couple of years' experience and then apply if there are posts there. This is very long-term thinking though!

Huge thanks again for all the contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

Again, many thanks for all the detailed replies.

I've decided to start applying for some other jobs over the summer, and if called to interview and if successful, then I can make a decision. Life really is too short to be unhappy in a job, and I feel that being overlooked for this promotion has tainted my enjoyment of teaching in this school. Since Easter especially, I have just been going through the motions really.

This promotion did mean a lot to me, I've done an M.Ed and lots of additional CPD in my own time as I had always been looking towards a DP/ Principal post one day. There will not be any further posts/ promotions in my current school so I feel as well that I'm wasting my time there professionally. At least in another school, I may build up a couple of years' experience and then apply if there are posts there. This is very long-term thinking though!

Huge thanks again for all the contributions.

U don’t need a post to apply for P or DP positions

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Icsics wrote: »
    U don’t need a post to apply for P or DP positions

Was just about to say this. Would it not be worth applying for these positions if they come up in your area OP? As well as teaching jobs? Even if you don't get a management job straight away the interview experience in that area would probably stand to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

There are politics in EVERY school. I left a permanent job after 12 years to move to my home area the other side of the country. I have two subjects which are supposed to be in demand but couldn't find a job in my county. Took a contract in another county which was about an hour drive from my place. Loved the school but teacher was redeployed into my position. Was lucky to secure job year after about 40 min drive from me. Was promised full hours and teacher more than likely was retiring year after so I would have CID. I even turned down two other positions to take this contract. Year 2 I went to reinterview- didn't get the job even though got on fantastic with pupils and a glowing report in WSE. Took a job share which again was in another county an hr drive. Great school but none of my own hrs available for next year - only substitution. Have just been offered my own full hr contract due to retirement in my own county about 40 min drive so have taken this contract and hope to God this is the last time I move as it's hard getting to know new staff and pupils and having to leave again. My advice would be def to apply for jobs and if you not happy with what's offered to you to definitely apply for VP positions. Just be very careful with what is offered to you and if you could get any info as to how staff are employed i.e. Is there a high turnover of staff yearly. A sign staff might not be happy and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 helenmaria1970

Great advice ! Not sure you can teach while on career break..used not be the case but maybe the rules've changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Great advice ! Not sure you can teach while on career break..used not be the case but maybe the rules've changed.

You can't because I thought of doing that for a year before I resigned from my permanent job. Can't remember exactly how long you can sub for but it's only for a set amount of hours.I had a teacher who was out on career break sub for for me while I was out doing orals but she was only allows to sub for certain amount of hours. If you google it you will find how many hours you can sub - there definitely is a circular about it.

Snapgal wrote: »
    You can't because I thought of doing that for a year before I resigned from my permanent job. Can't remember exactly how long you can sub for but it's only for a set amount of hours.I had a teacher who was out on career break sub for for me while I was out doing orals but she was only allows to sub for certain amount of hours. If you google it you will find how many hours you can sub - there definitely is a circular about it.

You can sub while on career break but a limited number of years but that limit has been extended. You are not allowed to teach a maternity leave etc.

Aside: congratulations snapgal. It must be a great feeling.

https://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/leave/career-break-leave/

Limited to 300 hours second level or in exceptional circumstances more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

A friend of mine took a career break and is teaching full time in Dubai. Is the stipulation that you can’t take a career break and teach in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Notorious wrote: »
    A friend of mine took a career break and is teaching full time in Dubai. Is the stipulation that you can’t take a career break and teach in Ireland?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 helenmaria1970

Notorious wrote: »

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

If you're not comfortable there, of course you should leave...
    BUT.......
    It's much easier to get a new job when you already have one than if you're unemployed.
    My advice would be find a new job before you leave.
    It also keeps you from burning through your savings, and lets you keep putting money into a pension if you've been doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭derb12

When you say you were “passed over” for promotion what do you mean? Did you ask to see your interview scores? What is the age profile of your DP and P? Is it worth riding out a few uncomfortable years in the hope of things improving down the line? It sounds like you have so many plusses where you are - you might move and realize in the autumn that the new school is worse. No school is perfect. I’m very happy in my school but I could list 10 or more faults with it no problem!

Advertisement