Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vpn newbie

Options
  • 22-06-2018 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

hi all
    i'm after buying a lifetime subscription vpn on getflix after seeing how much cheaper netflix is in other countries. i've read a few pages online and think i know where to go (on IPv4 properties) to change from an automatic DNS to a specific one (which are listed on the getflix website).
    so i entered the irish DNS and was surfing away but netflix and amazon.co.uk weren't loading. i changed this back to the normal automatic DNS and now they are working again fine. i'm assuming that the vpn was the issue here but why??
    and i cancelled my irish netflix so once the month is up, am i right in thinking i then go into my DNS and put in the turkish DNS (as its the cheapest netflix) and then sign up again? can i change my DNS back to automatic or do i need to leave it on the turkish DNS everytime i want to watch netflix?
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

It’s more than likely that the problem isn’t with the VPN. More likely to be Amazon & Netflix detecting that your location has changed, meaning that the VPN is actually working.

Maybe clear all cashe/cookies on whatever device you’re trying to connect with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭bungaro79

thanks cushie. i'll try that when i change the vpn the next time and see if it works.

have you used a vpn for netflix? if so, is my approach correct for when i need to sign up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Also .. make sure to use the DNS settings they supply.

Most DNS services will not allow you to recurse (get responses for non-local queries). That's why you always have to either use provider specific DNS or the likes of Google DNS etc. that are open to all.

/M

Advertisement