Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double doors and moving pipes €20,000?

Options
  • 22-06-2018 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys,

We are buying a duplex apartment in the North West. The company originally said they could put double doors in the wall between the kitchen and living room (it is a stud wall but has electric, water and gas pipes going through it which will all need to be moved) and put in a brand new kitchen on the other side of the room for a total of €20,000. This seemed a little steep but neither of us really had any idea and knowing it would all be done by the same company (they are apartments from 2007 being finished off so some work has to be done) and exactly how we wanted before move in, we decided it was worth it. They have now said that a new kitchen won't be included in the price, so just putting in the double doors and moving the pipes to where they see fit for €20,000.

I really hope there is someone more knowledgeable to give advice on this matter? Is this a reasonable price or should we take the place "as is" and pay someone else to do it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hire a Qs immediately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Did they drive a Hiace and knock on your door one day asking if you needed any gutters done or work around the house?

Get another company or two to price it.
    Is it just a blank stud wall?
    Did he suddenly find it’s acting not just a stud wall but supporting something.
    Do you trust him? Go with your gut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fabricwitch

I guess that means it's a bad deal!
    I don't know if we can get other people round to quote etc before we've even bought it? We are sale agreed at the moment.
    The wall currently has the kitchen units against it on one side and a radiator on the other side. The same renovation has been done in the show home, they said the main work is moving the pipes.
    I trust the builders and there is a 10 year warranty on any work the company builders do, and I did trust the company until they changed what was included in the price. If a new kitchen was included do you think €20,000 would be reasonable?

Thanks for your replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,308 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Do you really need to ask?
    You are being taken for a ride as far as I am concerned.

I thought it was reasonable at first, because a new kitchen would be €5-€10k, but now that's apparently not included it seemed very high. But we are first time buyers so have no experience with building costs, and I wouldn't want to undervalue someone's work, so yes I really did need to ask! But thank you for your opinion, I think you are probably right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Take the advice already offered above and get a quantity surveyor to cost it up. It will cost hundreds and could save you thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Odelay

I think you've been given a PFO quote. The building company have no interest in doing that type of work and so have given you an outrageous quote in the hope you'll go away.

Odelay, they have the showhouse done this way, offered it to us without us asking, and the sales agent encouraged us to get it done.
    Everyone seems to think it's outrageous though, so I think we will take it as is and get the work done by someone else.

Advertisement