Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary schools in Dublin 6/8

Options
  • 21-06-2018 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

Our family is relocating to Dublin at the end of July. We have two young kids, ages 7 and 3 (boy and girl). Our son has been offered a place at St Louis Infant school in Rathmines and I am considering putting our daughter in to Tiernans nursery. Not being familiar with schools in the area, I would appreciate a recent and impartial review on both schools please. We would prefer a co-ed school and are not phased about religious or multi-denominational.

Thanking you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ShannonF

To add to my post above, I visited St Louis Infant school during a recent trip to Dublin. I met with the principle, who I thought was lovely and got a tour of the school. I got a good sense of the school while I was there but would appreciate feedback from those who have more experience.

ShannonF wrote: »
    To add to my post above, I visited St Louis Infant school during a recent trip to Dublin. I met with the principle, who I thought was lovely and got a tour of the school. I got a good sense of the school while I was there but would appreciate feedback from those who have more experience.

My kids attended Tiernan's Creche, I thought it was well run, and would recommend it.
    I would prefer not to comment on St Louis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ShannonF

ShannonF wrote: »

My kids attended Tiernan's Creche, I thought it was well run, and would recommend it.
    I would prefer not to comment on St Louis.

Thanks Dursey, I appreciate your feedback! I’m now worried about St Louis! Are there any good schools in the area that you would recommend I look at?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have a look at the WSE reports for any school that interest you, here is one from St. Louis
    https://www.education.ie/en/Publications/Inspection-Reports-Publications/Whole-School-Evaluation-Reports-List/report1_17211H.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1 roisin31

We had 2 of our kids in Tiernans for a year and I would absolutly not recommend it. They are not nice people to deal with at all. Having had experience with 2 other creches this was by far the worst. It is also expensive - a good bit more expensive than other better creches in the area. They do a great sales job of enticing new families but do not deliver on the service. The menu is not what it seems, the Manager (D3n1se) does a big shop in Lidl and buys the cheapest of the cheapest. E.g. Pasta Napoli is Pasta with tomato sauce. The breakfast cereals are cheap lidl full of sugar, no porrige or alternative.
    We had been there 6 weeks when they hiked the fees by €400. My son lived on bread for the year as he wouldn't eat the menu (don't get me wrong he is a fussy eater but they made no effort whatsoever, when we moved we saw a real difference).
    Have a look at the Tusla Reports and they are not great at all.
    I do think the place is ok for 3+ but deffo not for babies or toddlers.
    Depending on which side of Rathmines you are in there are nicer places such as Ladybug and Kids Inc in Ranelagh. Or if you are on the Rathgar side Glenone and Brighton Daycare get good reviews.

As for St Louis, I have some neighbours who go to school there and are happy with it; its more of a mix in terms of class and race than the schools in Ranelagh. The grounds are nice with a good bit of outdoor space. My kids go to school in Ranelagh and we are very happy with the School.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Interesting first post.

Advertisement