Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof ideas for extension

Options
  • 21-06-2018 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hello can anyone offer ideas / advice on what style roof to put on a 25sq metre single storey extension to the rear of a two storey semi detached house? Would a flat roof with skylights be a terrible idea? Are insurance companies completely against them? Also any guide prices on roofing an area this size would be great! Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,286 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Keep away from flat.
    either lean to or A, which can be // or at RHT angles to wall.
    if // then a decent wide valley against house wall is best

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Cazzums wrote: »
    Hello can anyone offer ideas / advice on what style roof to put on a 25sq metre single storey extension to the rear of a two storey semi detached house? Would a flat roof with skylights be a terrible idea? Are insurance companies completely against them? Also any guide prices on roofing an area this size would be great! Thank you.

Insurance companies generally have no problem with flat roofs unless they constitute more than 25 or 30 % (depending on the company) of the overall roof area.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

We built an extension last year with a lean to roof, sloping out from the house with 4 big sky lights and finished externally in fiberglass. Look fantastic.

I can pop up some photos if you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

curiousb wrote: »
    We built an extension last year with a lean to roof, sloping out from the house with 4 big sky lights and finished externally in fiberglass. Look fantastic.

I can pop up some photos if you want?

Please do.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

Triboro wrote: »
    Please do.

Sorry about the bad light. We're off on holidays tomorrow so this is the best I can do at the moment.

1.jpg

11.jpg

111.jpg

• Advertisement

I have to be honest and say that I don't get the skylight love in general. Unless they have blinds fitted, I find i am not mad about them.

I've a flat roof extension (i was juggling different roof types for a while and opted for flat felt roof as I had heard that fibreglass can bring potential issues with cracking or warping, and oftentimes it just creaks or 'bangs' in the heat of the sun, how true those things are, I dont know). I opted for felt flat roof because i wanted to play it relatively safe, and work to a tight budget. Felt flat roofing is fairly tried and tested at this point. I don't expect it'll last forever, but I am of the opinion that by the time i'm replacing it, it'll owe me nothing, anyway.

I was given the option of windows/skylights and went against them. I find that in sun, especially were no blind is fitted, that they create harsh hot spots in the room. The builder that worked on my extension showed me another build he did, and they had two large windows on the roof, over a kitchen island, but they were honest with me and said they'd advise against what they did as, although it looks great, in direct sun it's uncomfortably warm to sit under, and you can find yourself squinting a bit even if not sitting under it (worth noting they've a gloss kitchen so that could possibly add to the issues of harsh glare on the eyes from the sun).

They did say that at night time it looked fantastic though, and for an evening time when you look up through it, if there's a nice sky for the sunset or such, it can look really, really nice.

Personally I felt they weren't for me. Which was good, as I probably wouldn't have been able to afford them anyway, and at least I could walk away comfortable knowing I wouldn't be sulking for them for months to come or wanting to have them installed after the fact. haha.

It'd probably do you no harm to talk to a roofing company nearby and see what they say. Apex is probably the best way to go if you are never gonna touch it again (something leaning me to a flat roof was that i have an idea in my head to bring my single storey extension into a two storey extension in future if money allows) but if you're not touching it again, it could do no harm to go Apex and be done with it.

A decent apex roof will likely outlive you.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Cazzums

Sorry about the bad light. We're off on holidays tomorrow so this is the best I can do at the moment.

1.jpg

11.jpg

111.jpg

Thanks for the photos! Looks great! Who did you get to do your roof if you don’t mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Cazzums

Cazzums wrote: »
    Thanks for the photos! Looks great! Who did you get to do your roof if you don’t mind me asking?

Also where did you get your windows?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

1.jpg

11.jpg

111.jpg

Does the room not get very cold in winter? Is there any insulation in the roof space of the lean to?

salonfire wrote: »
    Does the room not get very cold in winter? Is there any insulation in the roof space of the lean to?

Not my house, and im sure curiousb will come along and inform, but id guess that the roof is insulated to within an inch of it's life. Anything built nowadays generally is. I'd guess rockwool at least rolled out inside it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

If you're going with flat roof constructive, I would recommend going with rigid board insulation ob top (warm roof) as opposed to insulation in the rafters. The latter if not done right can lead to moisture buildup in the ceiling and damp. I upgraded our flat roof to this 2 years ago and makes a massive difference.

Advertisement