Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick leave

Options
  • 21-06-2018 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

Hello just a query regarding the amount of sick leave a person can take and more importantly happens when you have used all of your sick leave. I know that a person can take 3 months sick with full pay and after six months half pay. What happens if a teacher has been absent for a substantial amount of time in the past three years? They have been able to come in for last school day before holidays. I covered for a teacher a few years ago, who took a year off sick and on the last day (begging day), talking to the principal told me that she had two options, return to work or resign as she had used all of her sick leave. Is this still the case?? When are all your sick days used? After six months? Is it up to the principal to then make a judgement on whether or not to continue employment? Can he/she do that if students are left without a teacher for substantial periods during the school year? Thanks in advance. Hope this makes sense.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

If you want to know about your own entitlements you can look up your union's website.

If students are left without a teacher, that is not the fault of the sick teacher- either the principal isn't organising cover or there is nobody available - both out of the sick teacher's control.

Are you a teacher? If so perhaps you should be a little more supportive of your colleagues by not using a phrase such as 'begging day'. If you were seriously ill and had a mortgage to pay and family to support , would you willingly give up 3 months pay if it could be avoided?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Can't imagine why the teacher would have to resign. Surely their sick leave would just be unpaid at that stage?

Principal wouldn't have power to fire them either, that would be ETB/Board of Management and there would probably be a lengthy process.

There was probably more to that situation that meets the eye. If you are absent for more than a month then you'll be sent to Medmark who will have to sign off to say you are fit to return to work.

Even if the time frame was different a few years ago prior to the changes in sick leave, I think there was a time period where a teacher would have to have a cert saying they were fit to return to work. If that teacher returned to work on the last day they would have had a cert to say they were able, absolutely nothing principal could do about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

If you want to know about your own entitlements you can look up your union's website.

If students are left without a teacher, that is not the fault of the sick teacher- either the principal isn't organising cover or there is nobody available - both out of the sick teacher's control.

Are you a teacher? If so perhaps you should be a little more supportive of your colleagues by not using a phrase such as 'begging day'. If you were seriously ill and had a mortgage to pay and family to support , would you willingly give up 3 months pay if it could be avoided?

I'm using that as the day when non CID staff (me included) meet with principal to see if there is any work for you next year nothing to do with a colleague. I was speaking to a colleague and they described it like that - it feels like your begging for work for the following year and it does feel like it.

Thanks for the info. Couldn't see anything on union website.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I suppose it depends on the contract that the teacher is on i.e. not permanent and requiring a contract renewal?
    Onto your question at hand, there are various circumstances depending on why they are out sick. It goes to half pay and then to no pay but there is a critical category for say serious injury which can continue for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I'm using that as the day when non CID staff (me included) meet with principal to see if there is any work for you next year nothing to do with a colleague. I was speaking to a colleague and they described it like that - it feels like your begging for work for the following year and it does feel like it.

Thanks for the info. Couldn't see anything on union website.

https://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/leave/sick-leave/

It depends on if they have an 'ordinary illness' or ' critical illness' which you may not know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement