Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspending insurance while injured

Options
  • 21-06-2018 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Do car insurance companies allow you to suspend cover if you are physically unable to drive? I broke my left arm two weeks ago (although I drive an automatic) and I feel like they will say I'm not covered to drive as I have nothing in writing from my doctor. I pay my insurance monthly, surely the upcoming payment is void if it's cover I'm not receiving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,833 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats not how it works. Even if you could break cover, it would hurt your record when it came to renewal. Your car is insured for more than just being driven, it could be vandalised or impacted by another vehicle when parked up.

And you arent insured by the month, you are only paying agreed installments for an annual premium. Forget that notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Thats not how it works. Even if you could break cover, it would hurt your record when it came to renewal. Your car is insured for more than just being driven, it could be vandalised or impacted by another vehicle when parked up. Forget that notion.

I forgot to mention I only have third party insurance, my car is not covered at all.

I just want to know if anyone has been in this situation before or would I be wasting my time ringing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Just ring them and tell them the car is temporarily off the road - generally works out at 75% discount for the period where it’s not in use, credited at the end of the policy term. That said, not all companies offer a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Op you can suspend your policy at any time for any reason. You don't even need to give them the reason.
    Just send your insurance cert and disc with a letter requesting policy suspension.

This however won't change anything towards your policy repayment. You'll still have to pay them as you do currently, but at the end of policy you will get a refund proportional to period in which policy was suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

CiniO wrote: »
    Op you can suspend your policy at any time for any reason. You don't even need to give them the reason.
    Just send your insurance cert and disc with a letter requesting policy suspension.

This however won't change anything towards your policy repayment. You'll still have to pay them as you do currently, but at the end of policy you will get a refund proportional to period in which policy was suspended.

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

CiniO wrote: »

Some only allow a small amount of time such as a couple of weeks.

Advertisement