Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expanding vegan section of shop, have some questions (non promotional)

Options
  • 21-06-2018 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi folks, as the title suggests, I'm currently expanding the vegan section of my shop and I have a few questions. I would be grateful for any and all advice.

1) I want to make sure everything in the vegan section is actually vegan, loads of the products say they are vegan so that's easy. What I don't get is some products that I would have assumed are vegan (tinned tomatoes for example) are not labeled. Are there any guidelines I can follow to make sure everything is vegan?

2) Are there any products that are particularly difficult to find in Ireland? Or find at decent value? I know a lot of the vegan cosmetics are very expensive etc.

3) Is there a demand for vegan versions of meats and cheeses?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Good stuff, Its always great to see shops expanding their offerings. I work in a sector that supports the hospitality trade and not a single week has gone by in the last year and a half where we do not get a call to add vegan sections to menus or expand existing ranges. It certainly is a growing lifestyle.

If you contact the Vegan society UK they are very helpful with these types of information and have no issue with putting you in contact with suppliers of foods, cosmetics etc https://www.vegansociety.com/.

There is also Vegan society Ireland http://www.vegan.ie/

There is a big issue with E numbers, I don't think anyone really knows what they are anyway so as a Vegan this is twice as hard. here is a good list... https://www.veganeasy.org/food/food-additives/

I would say that there is a demand for faux meats, especially for people who are trying it out or who have just made the decision to go vegan for whatever reason. I find that once people are really settled in to the lifestyle they tend to move away from the alternative products and move toward more of a wholefood plant based diet as its better for you and the environment typically. I would eat that way all week and have some junk on a Friday and Saturday anyway.

I believe Moodleys are always looking for new stockists too so maybe have a look at their range, they are Irish too so supporting local producers is always a good thing.

Cheeses can be bought in tesco dunnes and some supervalu's as well as a whole host of health food stores. Same goes for mylks. So unless you have something very exotic I dont know if I ould go down that road as you probably wont be able to compete on the price side of things. I think Pallas foods are a main distro for some of the cheese brands. Art of zen foods do the violife and follow your heart distro as far as I remember.

Cosmetics too, although I don't have a huge requirement myself being a bloke. A lot of stores own brand cosmetics are not tested on animals or contain animal products but are not certified as Vegan friendly. I do think that people are willing to pay more for something that hasn't been squirted in bunnies eyes etc.

You could look at getting some decent priced confectioneries (Good BIG marshmallows!!!, chocolate at a decent price etc) or if you are permitted to sell food onsite and are in a good location something like a vegan soft serve machine.

best of luck with your expansion plans too, if you need anything else just shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

ElKavo wrote: »
    Good stuff, Its always great to see shops expanding their offerings. I work in a sector that supports the hospitality trade and not a single week has gone by in the last year and a half where we do not get a call to add vegan sections to menus or expand existing ranges. It certainly is a growing lifestyle.

If you contact the Vegan society UK they are very helpful with these types of information and have no issue with putting you in contact with suppliers of foods, cosmetics etc https://www.vegansociety.com/.

There is also Vegan society Ireland http://www.vegan.ie/

There is a big issue with E numbers, I don't think anyone really knows what they are anyway so as a Vegan this is twice as hard. here is a good list... https://www.veganeasy.org/food/food-additives/

I would say that there is a demand for faux meats, especially for people who are trying it out or who have just made the decision to go vegan for whatever reason. I find that once people are really settled in to the lifestyle they tend to move away from the alternative products and move toward more of a wholefood plant based diet as its better for you and the environment typically. I would eat that way all week and have some junk on a Friday and Saturday anyway.

I believe Moodleys are always looking for new stockists too so maybe have a look at their range, they are Irish too so supporting local producers is always a good thing.

Cheeses can be bought in tesco dunnes and some supervalu's as well as a whole host of health food stores. Same goes for mylks. So unless you have something very exotic I dont know if I ould go down that road as you probably wont be able to compete on the price side of things. I think Pallas foods are a main distro for some of the cheese brands. Art of zen foods do the violife and follow your heart distro as far as I remember.

Cosmetics too, although I don't have a huge requirement myself being a bloke. A lot of stores own brand cosmetics are not tested on animals or contain animal products but are not certified as Vegan friendly. I do think that people are willing to pay more for something that hasn't been squirted in bunnies eyes etc.

You could look at getting some decent priced confectioneries (Good BIG marshmallows!!!, chocolate at a decent price etc) or if you are permitted to sell food onsite and are in a good location something like a vegan soft serve machine.

best of luck with your expansion plans too, if you need anything else just shout!

Thanks so much for the info and resources! I've just ordered in some pretty awesome looking burger/sausage options that I'm looking forward to product testing! I'll keep an eye out for marshmallows as well. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

Let us know where you are and we can spread the word and help promote you.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

Mentalmiss wrote: »
    Let us know where you are and we can spread the word and help promote you.

I'd love to but that's against boards rules as would be seen as promotion/advertising

murdog! wrote: »
    I'd love to but that's against boards rules as would be seen as promotion/advertising

Ah go on give us a hint....

If I say some places you might give a cough or a wink, coincidentally of course! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

murdog! wrote: »

I've discussed this with boards and we are happy to allow you to name and shame your business this once, as it is something that is of use to the community and you took effort to abide by the rules. Enjoy the free advertisement!

If it's near me I'll go buy some of the new stuff.

I've discussed this with boards and we are happy to allow you to name and shame your business this once, as it is something that is of use to the community and you took effort to abide by the rules. Enjoy the free advertisement!

If it's near me I;ll go buy some of the new stuff.

Good Stuff Tar! :D:D

Alright Murdog, spill!

Advertisement