Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Application - Define Depedent

Options
  • 20-06-2018 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Can somebody please tell me as i cant find it anywhere how the mortgage lenders define a dependant.
    i have a child am no longer with the mother and have no legal or court maintainance agreement . In this case as far as the bank is concerned i dont pay any money so can I out down 0 for dependents?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Banks define it as anyone who depends on you and your salary to survive basically. Along with that If you pay money to them or their guardians, they’re a dependant.

If in doubt, ask the bank. If they find out later that you have someone who they define as a dependant and you haven’t disclosed it, you risk them not doing business with you

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chrisoadamson

ok so i am doing nothing wrong then applying with no dependants . i didnt want to be dishonest when applying as you cannot hide if you have children but putting it down has a massive impact on the leading amounts, i dont know how anybody is supposed to buy a house in this country :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48 OscarBluth

Does that mean you pay nothing towards your child?

I think you'll find that legally your child counts as a dependent - at any point, the mother could take you to court and demand maintenance which could then impact your ability to pay (which as a decent human being you should be paying anyway......) and not declaring the child's existence could be considered fraud.

I would at a minimum suggest you are honest about the situation with the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

If you are not paying anything then for the purposes of he mortgage they will assume an estimate based on a reliable source of the cost of raising a child.

Call it 150 a week ballpark to be prudent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Just because you're not paying anything now, doesn't mean you wont be in the future.

Mortagages are long term, for all they know you could be required to start paying in a years time.

The mother is entitled to get maintenance from you (rightly so).

I would just say it to them, let them figure it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

i dont know how anybody is supposed to buy a house in this country :(

Imagine what it's like for people paying for dependents!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In this case as far as the bank is concerned i dont pay any money so can I out down 0 for dependents?

No. You have a dependant. Not disclosing that would probably breech the bank's T&Cs. Not paying for a child, doesn't mean the obligation doesn't exist. The same what that not paying your rent doesn't mean you can but down zero rent on the application

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Catlady76

You have a dependent just because there are no court papers does not mean you cannot disclose it. Do you not have an agreement with the mother to pay maintenance for the child like alot of other people do ? or do you mean you pay nothing ?? your being dishonest if you dont declare it because I am sure you wont always be paying nothing for your child, there is school fees, Christmas, birthdays etc and college so you need to factor in something for the dependent as the bank will not be happy if you dont declare it and then they find out.

Advertisement