Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Big Van Vader

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

RIP Big man. Should have been handled so much better in the WWE. Without doubt one of the best big men ever

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rip Vader

Remember him in parts when I started watching wwe in the mid 90s. He was quite a good wrestler for his size and had a great image

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I remeber first seeing him in Boy Meets World before even getting into wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

RIP Vader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I remember 1st seeing him in WCW on a saturday afternoon when i was younger, and will always remember the night he "attacked" Gorilla Monsoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He deserves his own thread.

Very sad to learn of the passing of Leon White aka Vader at the age of 63. I remember him discussing the seriousness of his health issues a few years ago.

One of the greatest big men wrestlers in history. Had an epic feud with Sting in WCW and a legendary run in Japan. Sad that he was never allowed to reach his true potential in the WWF due to politics (ie Shawn Michaels).

Screen-Shot-2012-11-18-at-9.45.48-AM.png

212e8ffb0c8f76f6b1af95dc92f23fe9.jpg

Also if I remember correctly has the distinction of Ireland's only ever World Title change, defeating Sting for the Big Gold Belt at a house show 25 years ago.

A personal dream match for me would have been Lesnar vs a prime Vader. That would have been a war.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

RIP Leon.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

RIP Vader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Kinda sad the past few years Vader it seemed like he had a difficult time health wise and emotionally. He gave a few pleas that he didn't have much time left & that he wanted a HOF induction.
    Shame his wwf run wasn't what it could have been thanks to booking & politics but had a good run in WCW & did well in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

RIP.

WWE can try all they want but Strowman will always be a poor copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Dont see the comparisson with Strowman myself but in anyways RIP Vader.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Should've held the title after SummerSlam 96 IMO. HBK wouldn't have that though. Vader peaked in WWE pretty much when he arrived. After the Gorilla Monsoon angle, that was really it. Sad. He was so different than your lumbering Mabels and King Kong Bundys. Phenomenal look, had a legitimate aura and could go. Just a shame.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Couldn't agree more about him being one of the best big men the industry has ever seen (yet he could do a great moonsault). I too would have loved to see a prime Vader against Lesnar among others and would have liked to have seen him inducted into the HOF one of the last few years.

His run in the WWF may not have been the most notable (he squashed President Monsoon though) but the guy was a 3 time WCW world champion, 3 time IWGP World champion and played in a super bowl!

RIP Leon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Surely a guarantee for HOF next year, just a huge shame he didn't get it while he was alive. As others have said, him against guys like Brock and Joe would have been amazing spectacles and just proper wars.

I'm also old enough to remember him popping up in Boy Meets World, he just seemed like an all round good guy.

Rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That's really sad to hear he was such a favorite growing up

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Vader was always one to watch for me, was actually at the WCW show at the point in 93. Was a massive Sting mark, so that night was etched into the memory bank.
    As others have said his run in WWE was disappointing, there was a short period where he was doing well on RAW, but was never really pushed enough. RAW kinda sucked at the time anyway.

RIP Vader

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I was in the Point that night too, seem to recall Marc Mero as Johnny B Badd and a young Kevin Nash as Vinnie Vegas being present too :P RIP Vader

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1xh41j

Advertisement