Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional Diploma in Home Economics

Options
  • 20-06-2018 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

Just saw this on twitter if anyone is interested in adding on home economics as a teaching subject. You need to already be registered with the teaching council and have another teaching subject to do it. I wonder if they will follow suit with similar courses for adding on Irish.

http://www.stangelas.nuigalway.ie/mobile_files/programe_details.php?id=209

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Full time in Sligo for the first year. Such a strange time to announce it, its only suited to NQTs because anyone else would need a career break? €10000 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Yeah late in the year for applicants. 10000 is very steep also and what qualified teacher could take this time (even sub teachers )and money to it? I suppose they take it for granted that some will do anything for a better chance at a full time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Another money spinner. The PME is expensive enough without an extra 10k on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Full time in Sligo for the first year. Such a strange time to announce it, its only suited to NQTs because anyone else would need a career break? €10000 also.

Doesn't even suit those just finished the PME because they must be registered with no conditions with the teaching council :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

10,000? :eek: If I was that desperate for work - I'd train up in something completely different - get away from teaching! Seriously, the amount of money spins in the last few years these colleges have been creating is sickening! Like doing this course and that course is the are the golden tickets to a 22 hour permanent contract. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Wasn't the PME now 12,000? Sure what's another 10,000 in debt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

St Angela's College is all about making money. They increased that course to 5 years unnecessarily when none of the other teacher training colleges did a few years back and now they are offering this course for 11,000 euro.

They have told the ATHE that it is only a pilot programme for the following year and that it will be capped at 16 people due to the backlash the announcement has received from qualified and training Home Economists.

How they can suddenly fit 5 years of work into an 18 month course is beyond me as the applicants will still have to do some education work in how to teach Home Economics surely, along with 5 years worth of food studies, textile studies etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

When my Home Economics teacher in the 80s went there back in the dark ages it was a two year course, but they didn't take it with another teaching subject back then.

Still, 18 months seems pretty intense if only the first year will be on-site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

You only need 60 credits (covering the right content) to teach any subject. Why should Home Ec be any different if it's good enough for Maths/Physics/Chemistry? The current PME in St Angela's contains 110 credits of Home Ec content so it only needs to be halved. 60 credits is the standard credits covered in one year full time college. There'll be plenty of time to add on some specific Home Ec teaching pedagogy modules.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I dont really understand the backlash online. You can do almost any teaching subject as a one year full time add on in the form of the HDips they have. Many do 60 creduts for English and History online. Why is Home Ec so different??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

dory wrote: »
    I dont really understand the backlash online. You can do almost any teaching subject as a one year full time add on in the form of the HDips they have. Many do 60 creduts for English and History online. Why is Home Ec so different??

As a recent graduate of St Angela's, I think that a lot of it is resentment of the college itself. As St Angela's is the only place you can do home economics teaching in Ireland, we have no choice but to study there. Angela's has a poor reputation for student treatment and the general consensus is that we've done well to get through the course and our degree is reward for getting through it all.

I completely agree that most teaching subjects have add ons that you can do and home economics should be the same, but I think the backlash is how essentially we've had no option but to do 4 years to become qualified in the subject but now that's changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Pang wrote: »
    How they can suddenly fit 5 years of work into an 18 month course is beyond me as the applicants will still have to do some education work in how to teach Home Economics surely, along with 5 years worth of food studies, textile studies etc...

They don't.

The regular BA/PME has three elements: Home Ec + Education + second subject.

This PG Diploma has just one element.

Advertisement