Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea Pegboard on Craft Table

Options
  • 19-06-2018 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Trying to organise my little craft space. I have a folding table for crafting, the type with the grey plastic surface, I got at Home Store & More. Has anyone added an Ikea Pegboard to one of those tables? I don't know if it has to be screwed on the table or to a wall. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Would you have any pics, Jellybaby1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Pics of the table? Its just a bog standard table like this one:
    https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/tables-chairs/rectangular-folding-table-white/075011.html

The pegboard is like this:
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/search/?k=pegboard

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I had a long reply typed, but it went, darn!

Let me try again.

Most of the "single" pegboards I've seen on the internet seem to be either mounted to a wall, or put in a sort of frame with a stand (like this - look also at the pictures on the right, or like this), one even had a post with a hinge on its back to make it stand like a photo frame). You could also use an easel as a stand (depending on how big the pegboard is).

If you want to do something like this, then you'll probably need to build a frame like this - again, I don't know who flexible the pegboard is, but without a frame or even posts that go from the top of the pegboard to the ground, it might buckle under the weight of the items you'll be hanging from it. Ikea sells these, too, but I don't know if they'd support the weight on their own. The alternative would be to hang the pegboard from the edge of the table (either on its sides or on its back).

Here, here and here are some other ideas.

I don't know if any of that is of any help to you or not - I was thinking that perhaps someone in the DIY forums might be able to help you a bit more. I'll leave the thread here for a few days to see if someone else comes up with something better - if not, please remind me in a while and I'll move the thread over to DIY.

Thank you for your very detailed reply New Home, and twice typed! You've given me plenty of examples indeed. I don't know how to link as you did but I would be aiming for something along the lines of the photo with the sewing machine which you linked in your second paragraph but without the shelves. I would need help to sort this out so will ask hubby during a football match over the weekend and he is sure to say 'yes', whatever I say!!!

• Advertisement

No problem! :)

If I can make a suggestion, if you were to build a stand-alone frame (e.g. with some kind of feet/base/foldable post at the back) with the pegboard starting at the same height as the surface of the table, maybe with a couple of hooks/fasteners to attach it to the side of the table, then you wouldn't be tied to having them joined together forever - this would mean that you could detatch it from the table and move it close to a wall/behind a door/under a bed (:pac:), and the table could be folded and put away should you need to do so.

Bring your hubby a beer and some crisps, he may be more pliable. ;)

BTW, sorry, I just realised that some of the links I posted didn't show what I wanted, like the first one, for instance.

I'll pass your suggestion on to him, without the beer and crisps, we're tea and cake addicts!!:D I was sort of hoping the pegboard could have been 'latched on' to the table in some way but it looks like it can't. Thanks again.

It might be easier to latch the frame of the pegboard (after you've built it :P) to the table, rather than the pegboard itself.

Still, do let us know how you get on - I love this kind of stuff! :)

New Home wrote: »
    ...(after you've built it :P)

Hah! We'll see, miracles do happen! :)

Advertisement