Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for insurance for one day

Options
  • 19-06-2018 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

Need a loan of my uncles van for one day and he's unavailable to drive it, woild it be possible for me to get insurance cover for one day to drive it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

DJ98 wrote: »
    Need a loan of my uncles van for one day and he's unavailable to drive it, woild it be possible for me to get insurance cover for one day to drive it?

Most policies have a cooling off period when you sign up. Might be worth looking into these.

My understanding is that all you lose is the admin fee

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Most policies have a cooling off period when you sign up. Might be worth looking into these.

My understanding is that all you lose is the admin fee

The vehicle would still be in his uncle's name so he can't insure it.

Get your uncle to ask his insurer if you can be added as a temporary additional driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭DJ98

Would the fact that my own car would be off the road today and I need to get to work, could I just transfer my Insurance to the van for the day?

Would the fact that my own car would be off the road today and I need to get to work, could I just transfer my Insurance to the van for the day?

You won't be able to transfer a private car policy to a commercial vehicle.

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    The vehicle would still be in his uncle's name so he can't insure it.

I disagree with that. I was able to get my own policies on my mothers car before. And yes the policy was worded as such when the paperwork was received.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Would the GoCar scheme be worth considering?
    I know its not particularly cheap, but it may be cheaper than getting insurance, then cancelling and all the costs that go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭adgib

Does he have open drive on his policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I disagree with that. I was able to get my own policies on my mothers car before. And yes the policy was worded as such when the paperwork was received.

Well somebody did something wrong there

Well somebody did something wrong there

Three years in a row. I don't think so.
    This is still an option to select with liberty to this day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I remember having an argument with management in Axa years ago about a similar thing. Ended up I got insured on a car that didn't belong to me. Their website allowed for it so I rang to be sure. Told over the phone point blank I couldn't be. I took them step by step through the process on the website whilst talking to them on the phone and they had to agree that as I didn't mislead them on any single item, if I bought the insurance online, they couldn't cancel with a reasonable clause. All the information I provided on the website allowed me to drive another person's car as the main driver on their policy.

• Advertisement

Where is it an option to select with Liberty? There must be some kind of misunderstanding as you can't take out a policy on a vehicle you don't own. They may allow a temporary substitution while your car is in the garage but they won't take out a policy.

If your car is going into the garage, they generally allow you to transfer your policy temporarily onto another vehicle. But that vehicle normally has to be a garage vehicle or at the very least have no other private car policy on it. They also sometimes allow you to transfer your policy onto a van for a short period of time if the reason is that you are moving house and your car isn't big enough but it would normally be a rental van.

The easiest option would be for either your uncle to have open driving or for you to be named on his policy temporarily.

You can't legally take out a policy on your mother's car. I'm not doubting it somehow happened

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭Trampas

I didn’t think you can insure something you don’t own.

Let’s say the van is robbed on that day. Which insurance policy pays out?

Not rent a van?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

Trampas wrote: »
    I didn’t think you can insure something you don’t own.

Let’s say the van is robbed on that day. Which insurance policy pays out?

Not rent a van?
    I had a van on long term rental from Northbrook which I transferred my own commercial policy onto.

Where is it an option to select with Liberty? There must be some kind of misunderstanding as you can't take out a policy on a vehicle you don't own. They may allow a temporary substitution while your car is in the garage but they won't take out a policy.

Go through the quote option.
    Once the quote is given proceed to the finalize details screen.
    Under assumptions for your car click change car details.
    Options provided for owner are: Common Law Partner, Lease Company, Other, Proposer, Spouse/Civil Partner or Parent.

Go through the quote option.
    Once the quote is given proceed to the finalize details screen.
    Under assumptions for your car click change car details.
    Options provided for owner are: Common Law Partner, Lease Company, Other, Proposer, Spouse/Civil Partner or Parent.

That is utterly bizarre as it flies in the face of the most basic rule of insurance that you must have an insurable interest to insure anything. Normally it's just spouse or perhaps a lease company. It doesn't help the op as selecting other says that you need to call and they aren't going to allow it if the situation is explained

That is utterly bizarre as it flies in the face of the most basic rule of insurance that you must have an insurable interest to insure anything. Normally it's just spouse or perhaps a lease company. It doesn't help the op as selecting other says that you need to call and they aren't going to allow it if the situation is explained

In fairness I can see how some of the options don't make sense but if you wrap a parents car it would be fairly serious and worse than if it was your own in some cases. I'd class any relatives car as an insurable interest to be honest.

. I'd class any relatives car as an insurable interest to be honest.

How would you suffer financially if a relative suffered loss of their vehicle?

How would you suffer financially if a relative suffered loss of their vehicle?

I'd have to pay them back

I'd have to pay them back

That's just a moral decision and I'm sure you would only feel obliged to if you were the cause of the loss. As a specific example, if you have taken out a policy on your brother's car and it is stolen from his driveway. Where is your financial loss from the disappearance of the car?

• Advertisement

That's just a moral decision and I'm sure you would only feel obliged to if you were the cause of the loss. As a specific example, if you have taken out a policy on your brother's car and it is stolen from his driveway. Where is your financial loss from the disappearance of the car?

Just because somebody's name is on the log book doesn't mean it is actually there.

In my case when I had the car in my mothers name, it was always mine, but registered in her name as she fronted insurance for me for the first two years.
    For the other three years that I got a policy in my own name as it became more affordable we never bothered to switch the names on the vlc as it would just add another owner for no reason.

Also to answer your question though, if I parked the car in my brothers driveway and it was stolen, yes I would still class myself as responsible as I was the last person to use it.
    If he parked it there, sure I would still claim the insurance as he was letting me use his car.
    There has to be a bit of give and take sometimes.
    The world isin't as black and white as people think. There are shades of grey whether people agree with it or not.

I never mentioned anything about log books. Insurable interest is black and white, no grey and is a cornerstone of insurance. It is not up to you to class yourself as having a FINANCIAL interest in someone else's property. Could you sell the car and keep the proceeds? Could you file a theft claim and with payment made to you?

I'll leave you to it.

I never mentioned anything about log books. Insurable interest is black and white, no grey and is a cornerstone of insurance. It is not up to you to class yourself as having a FINANCIAL interest in someone else's property. Could you sell the car and keep the proceeds? Could you file a theft claim and with payment made to you?

I'll leave you to it.

In the case of you paying for it and them allowing you to use their name on the log book then yes I do have a financial interest in it.
    Could I sell the car? - Yes absolutely. As long as they are happy to sign the book or attend the sale with me then there is zero issues there.
    Could I keep the proceeds? - Yes if I paid for it I could absolutely keep the proceeds.
    As regards payment being made to me for a theft claim - I believe liberty said to me that once I sent in the log book a check would be sent to the registered owners address in their name.

Any more questions?

Advertisement