Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30kw stove. Can I only heat living room

Options
  • 19-06-2018 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a 30kw stove fully installed soon and been getting told I'll need a forest out my back if I want the full house nice and warm. I know I can zone upstairs and downstairs but all is it possible to just best my living room with it.

Before I had an open fire, came home, filled it up and the room was warm in no time after lighting it. Some have mentioned when I come home from work, it can take 2 hours to heat the room with a stove because its to heat the water and rads first.

Is there any method so I can have 3 different options. One to heat all rads,room and cylinder. One to zone upstairs and Downstairs and 3, same as option 3 only heat the living room.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

kingbhome wrote: »
    I'm getting a 30kw stove fully installed soon and been getting told I'll need a forest out my back if I want the full house nice and warm. I know I can zone upstairs and downstairs but all is it possible to just best my living room with it.

Before I had an open fire, came home, filled it up and the room was warm in no time after lighting it. Some have mentioned when I come home from work, it can take 2 hours to heat the room with a stove because its to heat the water and rads first.

Is there any method so I can have 3 different options. One to heat all rads,room and cylinder. One to zone upstairs and Downstairs and 3, same as option 3 only heat the living room.

Of course a 30kw stove will put heat into the room, independently of heating the boiler. It's probably designed /rated to put something like 50% of its output into the water, 20% into the room and 30% up the chimney. If there was no boiler, maybe 60-70% would go into the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I put in one a few years back I run it hard for 3 months of the year Dec Jan Feb it's in kitchen/ dining/living it's a big room it keeps it cosy you will need the oil as well but only for 2 or 3 hours a day

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

kerryjack wrote: »
    I put in one a few years back I run it hard for 3 months of the year Dec Jan Feb it's in kitchen/ dining/living it's a big room it keeps it cosy you will need the oil as well but only for 2 or 3 hours a day

I don't want to use the oil thou. When I come home from work, I just want to lite the fire and heat the room or with a rad in the bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Of course a 30kw stove will put heat into the room, independently of heating the boiler. It's probably designed /rated to put something like 50% of its output into the water, 20% into the room and 30% up the chimney. If there was no boiler, maybe 60-70% would go into the room.

Sorry, I didn't word it correctly. Say if I come home from work, if I turn all rads off apart from living room, kitchen. Will it still take up to 2 hours to heat the room without kick starting it with the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I think oil is cheaper then running one of these at the moment if you add it all up

• Advertisement

kingbhome wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't word it correctly. Say if I come home from work, if I turn all rads off apart from living room, kitchen. Will it still take up to 2 hours to heat the room without kick starting it with the oil.

No. As soon as the stove is lit and starts heating, it will begin to heat the room and the water on the 20/50 basis I mentioned earlier, assuming you are using dry fuel with sufficient calorific value. If an open fire used to heat it before (with 50-70% of heat output going up the chimney) , I doubt that a 30kw stove would be much slower to heat the same room.

kerryjack wrote: »
    I think oil is cheaper then running one of these at the moment if you add it all up

Probably true unless you have access to free, dry, good-quality firewood.

Advertisement