Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for gear and returns

Options
  • 19-06-2018 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭

Howya guys,
    Looking at getting the missus her first set of bike gear.
    What's the best places to buy from? Preferable with returns.
    Tried motorcycleshop.ie and sportsbikeshop.co.UK and both of them said they wouldn't take returns or I'd have to cover the postage which would cost quite abit for helmets,jacket,trousers,gloves and boots.etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Many places don't do returns on helmets

Very surprised they said they wouldn't take returns on the other stuff? :confused:
    What did they say exactly?

I've returned items to both Motorcycleshop & SBS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

KonFusion wrote: »
    Many places don't do returns on helmets

Very surprised they said they wouldn't take returns on the other stuff? :confused:
    What did they say exactly?

I've returned items to both Motorcycleshop & SBS

Helmets would be the main concern as they vary in size.
    Sports bike shop said they do 365 day returns but when I said I was in Ireland they said they don't offer free returns to Ireland.
    Motorcycle shop emailed back only saying they don't cover return postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

honda boi wrote: »
    Helmets would be the main concern as they vary in size.
    Sports bike shop said they do 365 day returns but when I said I was in Ireland they said they don't offer free returns to Ireland.
    Motorcycle shop emailed back only saying they don't cover return postage.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a place you could try before you buy and also return to if any issues arise, shame no bodies thought of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Best bet is to take a trip down to Bikeworld and Cotters. I've bought stuff on fc-moto.de but tbh, I wouldn't risk buying anything online. I seriously think brands like Alpinestar and Dainese put random sizes on things to make you buy in shops. I had a pair of alpinestar smx gloves in small. Needed to replace them, got the exact same ones in small and they were way smaller! Alpinestar boots, I'm a 9, ordered a 10 and couldn't even get my foot in! Dainese, tried on one jacket that was M, it was fine, tried another style in the same size and couldn't get my arms in! HJC the same, had a M helmet, fitted great. Got another HJC helmet, different style but Medium too and it's too tight!
    So, from my experience, buy in person and just pay the extra. For helmets, go to the visor shop or crossans. I'd bring a phone and google the prices online see what the difference is. I seriously think Bikeworld pay Vodafone and 3 to keep them in a 4g blackspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spray____

Yeah, I would agree, anything that needs a good fit should be bought in person. Have learned my lesson the hard way. The amount of hassle from returning or accepting something that doesn't quite fit is never worth the savings you'll find.

I can see why they wouldn't accept returns on helmets. It's a safety item that can't be checked for damage via visual means alone. You never know what someone has done with it once they've taken it home and you wouldn't want to be selling it on to anyone else after.

You shouldn't really need to return a helmet though. Wear it around the shop for 15 minutes (any decent gear shop should have no problems with this) and you'll know by then if it's going to give you problems. Any decent shop should have someone on hand to help you find the right shape and size as well.

Cotters and Bikeworld are the places to go for this. Take a Saturday morning off and hit up both. They carry different brands, so you're best to check them both and then you'll have covered most of your options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

So the issue is not that the shops won’t take returns, but that you will have to pay the return postage??

I can’t see anything wrong with this tbh, couriers like fastway etc will charge about €20 to return the items, so I suppose the first thing to do is see if the online savings are worth the purchase in the first place?

I’ve generally found the size guides to be pretty accurate though, apart from helmets as different brands seem to suit different shapes of Head in my experience.

I’ve found motorcycle shop.ie very good to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭katkev

XLmoto.ie do 60 day returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Op can you let me know if you find a good deal on gear. Thinking of picking something up for the missus myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Goose81

Howya guys,
    Looking at getting the missus her first set of bike gear.
    What's the best places to buy from? Preferable with returns.
    Tried motorcycleshop.ie and sportsbikeshop.co.UK and both of them said they wouldn't take returns or I'd have to cover the postage which would cost quite abit for helmets,jacket,trousers,gloves and boots.etc.

I've bought boots, jacket, helmet, gloves and trousers online and never had to return a thing. They list sizes and if you measure properly you won't have an issue, there are loads of videos on YouTube on how to measure so I wouldn't worry about it.

Actually thinking I've never bought anything from a bike shop in Ireland bar some small items, all online.

What's the issue? Just measure properly and you won't need to return anything, it shouldn't be a factor

No where will offer free returns, why should they be out of pocket for people not being able to use a measuring tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Goose81 wrote: »
    I've bought boots, jacket, helmet, gloves and trousers online and never had to return a thing. They list sizes and if you measure properly you won't have an issue, there are loads of videos on YouTube on how to measure so I wouldn't worry about it.

Actually thinking I've never bought anything from a bike shop in Ireland bar some small items, all online.

What's the issue? Just measure properly and you won't need to return anything, it shouldn't be a factor

No where will offer free returns, why should they be out of pocket for people not being able to use a measuring tape.

It's not rocket science. You'll be more inclined to buy something knowing if it doesn't fit of you don't like it you can return it with minimum hassle meaning they'll sell more stuff.
    Plenty of places do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cienciano wrote: »
    It's not rocket science. You'll be more inclined to buy something knowing if it doesn't fit of you don't like it you can return it with minimum hassle meaning they'll sell more stuff.
    Plenty of places do it.

The cost of returns is the biggest issue and a huge cost for online retailers. They sell and then have to fully refund for an item which they will have to sell at a discount when it's returned, that's expensive and not the type of sales companies want as they are handling an item at least 3 more times than necessary.

Don't be surprised when they've eventually killed off bricks and mortar if they stop offering free returns for change of mind, which is what the wrong size is.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭lanciadub

just kitted out the mrs in bikeworld last week , fairly reasonable but they will not take helmets back as soon as they leave the shop, which is fair enough.
    All manufacturers sizes seem to vary , would defo recommend try before u buy.

+1 for cottors and bikewold althuogh great bargains in textile stuff on adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

Sound lads.
    Will try the shops here first.
    Was hoping for easy returns as was gonna spend big money on gear for the missus and helmet for meself.
    I know they have measurements and that but isn't every helmet and clothing different when it comes to sizing?
    Anyone been to cc"s in kells lately?
    What's there clothing selection like?
    Haven't been in years and may need to get a spindle from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

FC Moto offer a returns label option, €11.90 from NI/UK. €19.90 from ROI. Handy option to have. Don't know if that includes helmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Goose81

Sound lads.
    Will try the shops here first.
    Was hoping for easy returns as was gonna spend big money on gear for the missus and helmet for meself.
    I know they have measurements and that but isn't every helmet and clothing different when it comes to sizing?
    Anyone been to cc"s in kells lately?
    What's there clothing selection like?
    Haven't been in years and may need to get a spindle from them.

It is but if you go on their websites every manufacturer lists their sizing charts in cm to help.

Eg I just bought a new helmet , medium was 58-60 , I'm a 59. Measured exactly as YouTube videos show and I'm a 59. Helmet is perfect

The only thing I might try on before I buy would be leather's , everything else measure and go

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Only issue is that measurements vary between brands. I bought a new pair of boots online, I choose a size bigger than I had before, but they were still too small. Sent them back but they would not accept them as I had a scratch on the side from using them once. So I ended up getting boots that are too small and the postage removed any saving I would have made. Pain in the ass. Saying that I've bought dozens of other stuff online - just make sure you are sure what you are buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Howya guys,

Tried motorcycleshop.ie and sportsbikeshop.co.UK and both of them said they wouldn't take returns....

I bought helmet boots gloves trousers jacket and locks from sportsbike shop and i could not reccomend enough. They have the nicest gear for women to correct safety standards. You have to pay attention to the size guide and reviews incase someone says sizes are small. I did buy a leather and denim jacket that was too amall and paid 22 euro to send it back in exchange for another bigger one. Think it was a Held.

Advertisement