Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire alarm replacement

Options
  • 19-06-2018 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Currently looking at options to replace our current fire alarms as they have passed their 10 year life. Currently have wired interconnected alarms in landing (upstairs and downstairs), kitchen and utility. Requirements for new houses now look for alarms in all bedrooms also, which is something I can see some merit in, although the rooms are not wired for interconnecting.

Am currently thinking of replacing existing alarms on a lime for like basis and just adding standalone battery alarms to bedrooms.

Has anyone else done similar or found a better way to proceed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Get battery ones with 10 year battery , they can also be interlinked, think they cost about 30 or 40 Euro, available in most wholesalers

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭tipperary

Thanks for that. Had considered it, but house is from an era when building regs required mains powered alarms, would be wary of potential insurance issues if I went away for this for the 4 alarms I currently have.
    Can you get mains alarms that also connect wirelessly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

No idea, not a bad idea though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

tipperary wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Had considered it, but house is from an era when building regs required mains powered alarms, would be wary of potential insurance issues if I went away for this for the 4 alarms I currently have.
    Can you get mains alarms that also connect wirelessly?

Google Ei electronics they do a range of alarms that you can connect wirelessly via optional modules on mobile now so can't link to their site .

https://www.eielectronics.com/product-selector.html

• Registered Users Posts: 43 SilverTom

crasy dash wrote:
    Google Ei electronics they do a range of alarms that you can connect wirelessly via optional modules on mobile now so can't link to their site .

Had a look at that for the wireless battery option, looks quite good to be honest, only it did mention it as a temporary or cheaper solution to mains. I wouldnt be sure how it would effect insurance or regs, I would think that it wouldn't be satisfactory in both circumstances but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

tipperary wrote: »
    house is from an era when building regs required mains powered alarms
    They still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

kramer1 wrote: »
    Get battery ones with 10 year battery , they can also be interlinked,  think they cost about 30 or 40 Euro, available in most wholesalers
    They won't comply with the Standard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mittimitti

get the nest wired smoke alarms they work together and have battery backup

Advertisement