Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy thinnings for use as scout pioneering spars

Options
  • 19-06-2018 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

We are looking for rough timber poles (thinnings, bark on would suit) for scout pioneering. From 6 to 12 foot poles about 1 to 5 inches diameter. Ideally birch but any type will do.

We are looking for about 120 spars currently. We can collect. We can pay.
    I know some other scout groups also looking for spars.
    I would appreciate it if anyone could help locate a source of these type of spars.

Thanks!

James. (I am based in Dublin)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭timfromtang

W31rd0 wrote: »
    We are looking for rough timber poles (thinnings, bark on would suit) for scout pioneering. From 6 to 12 foot poles about 1 to 5 inches diameter. Ideally birch but any type will do.

We are looking for about 120 spars currently. We can collect. We can pay.
    I know some other scout groups also looking for spars.
    I would appreciate it if anyone could help locate a source of these type of spars.

Thanks!

James. (I am based in Dublin)

Hi James,
    I would be happy to supply spars to scout groups, I am located in the Midlands Tang is 19km north of Athlone. We have 80 acres of diverse hardwoods to choose from. pm me for a chat
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Hi W31rd0
    Can I ask... why the choice of birch? We have been buying turned poles recently to use. Most rough timber we have used have been softwood. Or a few ash spars which I have cut off my own trees, 6 - 10 ft and nice and straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 W31rd0

Hello, birch was recommended to me as the ideal by another scouter, we had softwood spaes and they are good. They got woodworm though! I love ash only hard to get straight branches!
    Hi W31rd0
    Can I ask... why the choice of birch? We have been buying turned poles recently to use. Most rough timber we have used have been softwood. Or a few ash spars which I have cut off my own trees, 6 - 10 ft and nice and straight.

W31rd0 wrote: »
    Hello, birch was recommended to me as the ideal by another scouter, we had softwood spaes and they are good. They got woodworm though! I love ash only hard to get straight branches!

Coppice all the way. After the first cut you will be getting 4 or more nice straight stems and big enough to harvest every 3 or 4 years or so. Sycamore will give you similar and I'm sure Timfromtang and others will be able to suggest other species that would suit just as well. A little management to keep side branches to a minimum helps. What isn't straight enough for staves will be great on the camp fire and easy to cut and split.

(Do I need to include a warning about using ash from a die-back perspective?)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 W31rd0

Pm sent (this time!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

(Do I need to include a warning about using ash from a die-back perspective?)

Not anymore, it's everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Greetings Folks,

Whilst Ash dieback may be everywhere, that is no reason to help the "B&*##*D" along.

Simple easy stuff anyone can do ....

Wash yer bits, boots etc tools an all...... Jeyes fluid and a bucket, some water and stiff brush is yer man here.

Leave all the leaves and twigs behind, take only clear uninfected poles for spars.

on a positive note on ash dieback, the more resistant individuals are now starting to reveal themselves, I have great hope for a luxuriant female in my yard, dripping with seed, glossy and healthy right in the ditch beside the field of 14,000 stems i was forced to uproot and destroy last year.

tim

I always wash my bits Tim - Haven't tried Jeyes Fluid before though. Does it sting? :D

Advertisement