Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepay Power

Options
  • 19-06-2018 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Trying to get deactivation code off Prepay power needless to say im getting the runaround.

Moved to a hse that has a ppp metre in it which i dont want im a Bord Gais customer

Can i just get an electrician in to disconnect it and reconnect up to default provider B Gais ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Meters can only be changed by ESBN as far as Im aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Prepay Power have their own meters. Nobody can deactivate them but Prepay Power.

Did you sign up with Bord Gais yet? PPP won't give you the deactivation code unless they see that the property is being registered with another supplier.

Contact Bord Gais and register with them. Then wait 24 hrs and contact Prepay Power - ask them if they can see that the property is being registered with someone else. If they say no, try again later. Once they confirm that it's leaving PPP, demand the deactivation code.

If you've already done all of the above, call them again, ask them for a code. Their common tactic is "the department is actually closed today, we will call you back". Needless to say, they won't call back. Ask them for the relevant department's opening hours and call again during these hours.

If you're getting nowhere, ask to speak to a supervisor, their supervisor, etc.

Good luck, it's a lot of fun! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

ED E wrote: »
    Meters can only be changed by ESBN as far as Im aware.

Im not looking for the ESB metre to be touched.

Its the Prepay Power equipment which is wired into the fusebox i want disconnected.

Which was installed by a Pre Pay Power technician not an ESB tech.

Four cables going into the side of the fusebox attached to the PPP equipment

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭AuldDaysul

I'd the same trouble. I moved into a house with the prepay meter, got the same run around off them when trying to get rid of it and get a normal billed connection.

Anyway after about 2 weeks of lies and distractions I said I've complained to the regulator and have passed on details of calls and names of people I talked with.

I was then immediately passed onto a different person who gave me a code to deactivate the prepay meter. I can't remember what company it was but what a bunch of cowboys.

I don't understand why anyone would want one of these meters they are significantly more expensive than billed connection.

Edit forgot to say to OP, the meter is still there it doesn't need to be removed, it just needs a code to deactivate it.

Prepay Power have their own meters. Nobody can deactivate them but Prepay Power.

Did you sign up with Bord Gais yet? PPP won't give you the deactivation code unless they see that the property is being registered with another supplier.

Contact Bord Gais and register with them. Then wait 24 hrs and contact Prepay Power - ask them if they can see that the property is being registered with someone else. If they say no, try again later. Once they confirm that it's leaving PPP, demand the deactivation code.

If you've already done all of the above, call them again, ask them for a code. Their common tactic is "the department is actually closed today, we will call you back". Needless to say, they won't call back. Ask them for the relevant department's opening hours and call again during these hours.

If you're getting nowhere, ask to speak to a supervisor, their supervisor, etc.

Good luck, it's a lot of fun! :D

Already registered last week with Bord Gais and rang twice already to get deactivation code keep getting runaround hence why asking if an electrician can be hired to just disconnect there equipment.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Already registered last week with Bord Gais and rang twice already to get deactivation code keep getting runaround hence why asking if an electrician can be hired to just disconnect there equipment.
    Thanks.

Right. In that case you have to keep calling and calling and asking for all kinds of supervisors, log a complaint if you have to and tell them that you will take it to the regulator (CRU) if the complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction.

From the CRU website:
    Obligations are also in place which requires suppliers to release any information required to complete the switching process in a timely manner. For example, the release of the ‘deactivation code’ to a customer on a PAYG product who is looking to make a switch.

Quote that to them if you have to.

To answer your question, you cannot hire an electrician to disconnect the PPP meter.

What do they say to you when you ask them for the code?

Right. In that case you have to keep calling and calling and asking for all kinds of supervisors, log a complaint if you have to and tell them that you will take it to the regulator (CRU) if the complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction.

From the CRU website:

To answer your question, you cannot hire an electrician to disconnect the PPP meter.

Why cant i hire an electrician to disconnect something im not signed up for ?

From the CRU website:

Why cant i hire an electrician to disconnect something im not signed up for ?

Because the meter belongs to PrePayPower. Only the technicians they send out are allowed to touch it. Everything else could be considered tampering, even if you get a qualified electrician.

I know this stuff. I used to work in this field. Trust me. Get onto them and raise the hell if you have to.

Because the meter belongs to PrePayPower. Only the technicians they send out are allowed to touch it. Everything else could be considered tampering, even if you get a qualified electrician.

I know this stuff. I used to work in this field. Trust me. Get onto them and raise the hell if you have to.

Too late, i've not got the time to be wasting ringing them every day,
    two calls by me to them already requesting a deactivation code for a service not in my name have failed.
    So i've had it disconnected and if they want there equipment its all here for them they can come and collect it.

Too late, i've not got the time to be wasting ringing them every day,
    two calls by me to them already requesting a deactivation code for a service not in my name have failed.
    So i've had it disconnected and if they want there equipment its all here for them they can come and collect it.

So why were you asking for an advice if you were going to do what you wanted anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Have been looking in to getting rid of PrePayPower. It's working out a bit less than 20 euro a week, which is a grand over the year.
    Is electric ireland smarter prepay better? They offer a €175 credit to join. Or just go back to the bill every 2 months.
    It's a 3 bed dormer and there's 2 adults in it.
    I have another house, which is empty, on a low usage bill of average 60euro every 2 months.
    Any advice welcome. What's your average bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭cletus

I pay bimonthly, just did a quick calculation, and I'm paying €20, but that's for a family of 4 in a four bed detached, so factor in more showers, hall lights left on at night for kids etc. I'd imagine if both of ye are working during the week, your usage should be lower than mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭eirbear1989

Hi all,

can anyone remember what number they were trying to get their deactivation code??

I rang their sales number last week, got through within minutes. Today, when I dial through for a deactivation code I am already holding 18 mins with no sign of anyone answering. This is beyond a joke. And their number is 35c a min to ring.

I have already changed to Energia but we got home yesterday and the low money alarm was going off, our neighbor was not too impressed as the walls are like paper and it had been going off "for ages".

Advertisement