Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13 or 20 amp for dishwasher and washing machine

Options
  • 19-06-2018 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

greetings. we are getting a kitchen upgrade which will have new intergrated washing machine and dishwasher. at the moment they are both plugged into a single socket with a double adapter. this single socket will be changed to a double socket but because the units will be intergrated i was thinking of adding an isolator switch. my question is is it best to have a 20amp fuse or 13amp both machines have been used at the same time and we never had any issues previously.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

lookitsme wrote: »
    at the moment they are both plugged into a single socket with a double adapter. this single socket will be changed to a double socket

Getting rid of the adapter is a very good idea.
    i was thinking of adding an isolator switch. my question is is it best to have a 20amp fuse or 13amp both machines have been used at the same time and we never had any issues previously.

First off my understanding is that each appliance should have a dedicated isolator. However I am not fully up to speed with all of the domestic regulations as I only work in the industrial sector so I will let someone for familiar with this advise you.

Secondly, the plugs for the appliances will contain a fuse, so there is no benefit with installing another fuse in series with this. So for isolation install an unfused isolator. Typically a 20A double pole isolator would be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Not just getting rid of the double adaptor - two single socket outlets would be a superior arrangement to one double socket outlet as a double socket outlet only has a maximum current rating of 20A and not 2 * 13A as many might assume. Ideally they would be two separate circuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

One 20A double pole switch (as long as the circuit is a radial and on a 20A MCB) can be used for two sockets a long as it is labeled correctly

Advertisement