Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does my degree allow me to apply for pme?

Options
  • 18-06-2018 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi, I'm a few years out of the education system but thinking of a career change to do the post primary with Hibernia. I'm a little confused on whether I can apply based on my degree though. I've attached outline of the subjects under my degree course. Would I qualify under the teaching council to do maths and physics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

trixie11 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a few years out of the education system but thinking of a career change to do the post primary with Hibernia. I'm a little confused on whether I can apply based on my degree though. I've attached outline of the subjects under my degree course. Would I qualify under the teaching council to do maths and physics?

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You'd have to see if your degree is on the approved list on the TC website.

But as a physics and maths teacher you have practically no physics or maths in your degree so I would say as an educated guess that it would be a no to both.

It looks like a Computer Science degree of some sort from what you have posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

In the PME they will take anyone because they want the money. You will need to contact TC to see if you're primary degree will enable you to gain full registration; the college will not give you absolutely any assistance here; I know of 2 people who completed the PME but they could not gain full registration because they did not have relevant credits from primary degree. They were told by TC to go off and do another 4 year bachelor degree so be careful before committing to PME as that itself is a long expensive course. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭derb12

Hi trixie11, to be honest, you'll have a tough route to teaching with that degree.
    You might be better off aiming for maths and applied maths with ICT as a second "subject". I put subject in quotes as there is no JC ICT as an exam subject and leaving cert is just introducing a subject now. It'll take years for it to become normalised, and it will probably always be niche.
    I'd say forget about physics as physics teachers also have to teach junior science and you have no biology/chemistry in your degree. To get those added would require labwork and lots of practicals which probably isn't realistic. Having said that, qualified physics teachers are in very short supply these days, so it might be worth the effort if you are determined.
    As it stands, I can guarantee that you will have to study additional maths modules. There is a well trodden path of 3 modules with the Open University which would take a normal student 2 years to complete by distance education (so you can work at the same time). I did these a few years back - i think the course codes were MST121, MS221 and M208, but these might have changed. Everyone who had a deficit in their maths qualifications was pointed toward these same 3 courses (regardless of their original degree - the teaching council like to keep things simple). There are other routes to getting the right qualifications including a free course at UL (I think?) if you are already teaching maths.
    I don't know what are the exact quals needed for applied maths teaching, but I'd imagine that your mathematical physics might get you off the starting line. I'd imagine that you'd have to study supplementary modules there too. Does your course title have the word "applied" in the title?
    The very best of luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

You'd have to see if your degree is on the approved list on the TC website.

But as a physics and maths teacher you have practically no physics or maths in your degree so I would say as an educated guess that it would be a no to both.

It looks like a Computer Science degree of some sort from what you have posted.

That famous "list" of degrees no longer exists and you now have to pay €200 to get your degree assessed regardless of where you did your degree or what you did it in. My degree was on the list for one subject (even though I am registered for a different one) and if I now want to add that original subject to my qualifications I have to pay €200 and wait 12 weeks even though it was on the "list" for years! Crazzzzyyyyy! It really has nothing to do with monitoring the profession, it's just a money making scam!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

williaint wrote: »
    That famous "list" of degrees no longer exists and you now have to pay €200 to get your degree assessed regardless of where you did your degree or what you did it in. My degree was on the list for one subject (even though I am registered for a different one) and if I now want to add that original subject to my qualifications I have to pay €200 and wait 12 weeks even though it was on the "list" for years! Crazzzzyyyyy! It really has nothing to do with monitoring the profession, it's just a money making scam!!!

I wasn't aware of that, I keep my dealings with the TC to an absolute minimum these days.

Nevertheless my gut tells me that the OP does not have enough maths or physics, having studied both as add ons myself. At best she can register for Computer Studies would be my best guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭trixie11

Hi guys thanks for all your input. I got copies of my transcripts from college and yes I don't have enough maths. It was an IT course I did business with it and I don't think I've enough of the business either to do that.
    I do qualify for the ICT subject. This is just a LC subject right? I don't see it on Hibernias list. Do you know what other colleges do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

trixie11 wrote: »
    Hi guys thanks for all your input. I got copies of my transcripts from college and yes I don't have enough maths. It was an IT course I did business with it and I don't think I've enough of the business either to do that.
    I do qualify for the ICT subject. This is just a LC subject right? I don't see it on Hibernias list. Do you know what other colleges do it?

It is a LC subject but only in selected schools as it is only being trialled this year. I wouldn't spend 12k on a dip for a subject only offered in a small number of schools. You could upskill with the business perhaps?

I'm not sure what Hibernia do but I went to an NUI and when accepted, you do your subject methodologies as part of the PME and there was one for IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Advertisement