Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doorbell Help

Options
  • 18-06-2018 8:53pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, I have a very old doorbell (60's i think) with a really cool chime thing.

We're missing a part (it was working when we moved in, but it kept chiming so the builder removed the part and then lost it!) but he's no idea what part is missing.

Firstly does anyone have an idea of what make it is or have an idea what part is missing and where i'd get it?

[IMG][/img]Whats_App_Image_2018_06_18_at_20_45_50_1.jpg

[IMG][/img]Whats_App_Image_2018_06_18_at_20_45_50.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

Looks like that's a solenoid that's missing an armature?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Looks like that's a solenoid that's missing an armature?

you're referring to the piece that should be on the end of the spring?

you're referring to the piece that should be on the end of the spring?

Actually, is there a little metal rod in the middle of the black cylinder? (I'm guessing no? It should probably be sticking out a bit)

There should also be a bit at the end of the spring to hold the rod (Armature) in place/cushion the chime.

If the rod is still in there then you need to find something to reattach it to the end of the spring. If the rod is missing then it needs replacing.

It works like this:

ainimate_pull_push_solenoid1.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Actually, is there a little metal rod in the middle of the black cylinder?

There should also be a bit at the end of the spring to hold the rod (Armature) in place/cushion the chime.

If the rod is still in there then you need to find something to reattach it to the end of the spring. If the rod is missing then it needs replacing.

It works like this:

ainimate_pull_push_solenoid1.gif

The rod is missing, do i need to replace the whole solenoid or just the rod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The thing that pushed back to make the first chime and then when the bell button is released, the spring pushes the rod back to make the second chime.

If it were possible to measure the internal diameter of the coil you could possibly buy a replacement ferrite rod from an electronics store. Then there is the problem of getting the length of the rod correct for the coil mechanism, too long and the chime will be weak or jam, too short and it will not sound at all.

Also you could try a soft Iron nail of suitable diameter and length, anything that is smooth, heavy and magnetic......

• Advertisement

The rod is missing, do i need to replace the whole solenoid or just the rod?

Try very hard to find it? At least now you have a rough idea what it looks like.

I'd try emailing the manufacturer and asking them what they can do.

If that doesn't work you could try and cobble together something but I think It would be hard to get right. You could try looking online. You'll be able to find parts, but finding the right ones could be tricky. Certainly you could order a solenoid without much trouble.

doolox wrote: »
    The thing that pushed back to make the first chime and then when the bell button is released, the spring pushes the rod back to make the second chime.

If it were possible to measure the internal diameter of the coil you could possibly buy a replacement ferrite rod from an electronics store. Then there is the problem of getting the length of the rod correct for the coil mechanism, too long and the chime will be weak or jam, too short and it will not sound at all.

Also you could try a soft Iron nail of suitable diameter and length, anything that is smooth, heavy and magnetic......

Cheers, but assume i need something then to revert it to the original position?
    Try very hard to find it? At least now you have a rough idea what it looks like.

I'd try emailing the manufacturer and asking them what they can do.

If that doesn't work you could try and cobble together something but I think It would be hard to get right. You could try looking online. You'll be able to find parts, but finding the right ones could be tricky. Certainly you could order a solenoid without much trouble.

We bought and then renovated 3 years ago, it's long gone unfortunately.
    We've been living without a bell, but its turned into a bit of a pain now so we are either going down the Nest bell route or hopefully trying to get this back up and running

Most likely it was installed in the 60's (potentially 50s) so i dont know who the manufacturer is (and if i did, are they still in business)

Cheers, but assume i need something then to revert it to the original position?
    It needs to attach to the spring at one end. You'll probably need some felt or something to dampen either end or it could sound like someone's having a fight with a cutlery drawer./QUOTE]
    We bought and then renovated 3 years ago, it's long gone unfortunately.
    We've been living without a bell, but its turned into a bit of a pain now so we are either going down the Nest bell route or hopefully trying to get this back up and running

Most likely it was installed in the 60's (potentially 50s) so i dont know who the manufacturer is (and if i did, are they still in business)
    If you really love it then you could probably repair it.

TBH, getting a new one is going to be easier and possibly cheaper.

Advertisement