Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAT6 ethernet cables for future proof

Options
  • 18-06-2018 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Is there anything special i need to know about putting in CAT6a cables?
    I'm renovating the house and getting the place rewired, so while the floors are up I said I'd ask the electrician to stick in network cables.

I was going to got CAT5e but then said I'd stick in CAT6a for future proofing.

The electrician said he isn't too familiar with network cables but we figured its just a case of sticking in the wires and terminating them. However, I was looking online and seen people talking about grounding them for PoE and all that.

Is this needed? Is it difficult to do? Can I come back and do it later?
    I'll be using the ethernet ports for internet only (Smart TV for Netflix etc). At least for now. Who knows what will happen in the future and if I need PoE.

So is there any quirks I need to let the electrician know about?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

google cat 5. 6 and 7

the electrician, should know how to terminate the heads rj45

im fairly sure , if there is a patch panel that must be cat6 compliant

Im not sure you would use POE in a domestic environment, POE is the switch port supplying power to the networked device

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'll terminate them myself, no bother. I've a mate who can do it if I can't anyway.
    CAT6A actually have to be terminated differently to CAT5 and CAT6. The heads won't fit, as 6A is fatter.

I suppose what I was asking was can I just leave them as is, or do I need to ground them? I won't be able to do this and will have to ask the electrician.
    They'll be a few inches away from the electric wire, going down the wall parallel but in a different trunk.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Is there anything special i need to know about putting in CAT6a cables?

Yes, they are very bulky compared to CAT5E, so larger conduits required.
    The electrician said he isn't too familiar with network cables but we figured its just a case of sticking in the wires and terminating them.

Yeah, just punch them down.
    However, I was looking online and seen people talking about grounding them for PoE and all that.

Ground what and why?

POE is just power over Ethernet, this can be done with a plug and play device or by selecting the right switch so easy peasy.
    Is this needed? Is it difficult to do?

Generally not, some devices such as IP cameras require it. That way the camera only needs a CAT5 / CAT6 (comms and power over a sinle cable) and no separate cable for a power supply.
    Can I come back and do it later?

Yes, unlikely you will need it.

I'll be using the ethernet ports for internet only (Smart TV for Netflix etc). At least for now.

No POE required for this.

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, they are very bulky compared to CAT5E, so larger conduits required.

Ground what and why?

POE is just power over Ethernet, this can be done with a plug and play device or by selecting the right switch so easy peasy.

Generally not, some devices such as IP cameras require it. That way the camera only needs a CAT5 / CAT6 (comms and power over a sinle cable) and no separate cable for a power supply.

Ye I got angled ports on the faceplate as I was told the cables are bulkier and don't bend as easy as cat 5.

The grounding is really the only thing I was looking to clear up. Purely just because of what I saw online on other forums, as well as a YouTube video of how to terminate cat6a cables which had ur man taking out the ground wire and attaching it to the head. I was thinking that simply connecting a grounded cable like this to a switch with a grounded port would be enough, since the switch itself will be grounded via the plug, but wasn't sure. Like the clue is in the name. It's power over ethernet. So with new reci guidelines these days, everything with power needs to be earthed!

Actually you make a good point about the CCTV. That's actually something I'd like to use further down the line. There may be other devices that are invented that are powered over ethernet which I'd use too, with the goal of a fully connected smart home.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

As aside , I got CAT6e put in a few back . If I remember CAT6e is capable of running 1000mbps

Virgin Media supply 360 mbps, and if you are cat6e etc, you should get the full 360.

However your ethernet port on your TV, Android box, etc needs to be capable of running 1000mbps . If not the max you will achieve is 100mbps

If you are buying a Smart TV, Android Box etc , check the Ethernet port is capable of running 1000mbps

The other end of the cable will be plugged into your ISP (Virgin etc) router , the ports here will be 1000mbps

Wireless has come on in the last 2 / 3 years with a decent ac dual; band 2.4ghz and 5.0 ghz router . You can achieve fast wifi , but not as fast as wired , yet

• Advertisement

Cat6a is 10 gig, cat5e i think is 1000mbps.

Also, here's that video I was looking at that got me thinking about the grounding:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That would be better phrased as can do, not is.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Also, here's that video I was looking at that got me thinking about the grounding:

It would be highly unusual to use shielded twisted pair for domestic so wouldn't worry about the ground. It's usually only used in industrial environments where there might be a high chance of electromagnetic interference.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

aido79 wrote: »
    It would be highly unusual to use shielded twisted pair for domestic so wouldn't worry about the ground. It's usually only used in industrial environments where there might be a high chance of electromagnetic interference.

+1
    Even then it is not the norm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The_B_Man wrote:
    I'll terminate them myself, no bother. I've a mate who can do it if I can't anyway. CAT6A actually have to be terminated differently to CAT5 and CAT6. The heads won't fit, as 6A is fatter.

That depends on the CAT6A solution you have.

I've car 6 A in my house for years, just terminated as Cat 6 and passed.

If I ever need CAT6A speed I'll reterminate.

There's extra Chambers for the cables to isolate them, so it's a fatter cable and will need more or bigger conduits

• Advertisement
Advertisement