Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic coast challenge 2018

Options
  • 18-06-2018 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

Enniscrone, carne, rosses pt. Never played either. Can’t wait.

Is there strokesavers available? Any course tips greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

RoadRunner wrote: »

only real tip is be patient. it's a very very long round in all places unless you're out early. 5hours+ are the norm. it's great Craic but serious hooks in it too. enjoy it for the golf.
    carne do strokesavers but not sure of others

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Enniscrone do one as well. We lost ours between the 2nd and 3rd hole when we played it for the first time, was fun!!
    Excellent course though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Enniscrone:
    Going long on approach shots should always be avoided.
    Hole 2 is a par five... but don't use a driver. You need a shot of 180 yards or so (which will run on another 30-40) to reach the dogleg which goes sharp right.
    Hole 4. Wait for the bell before teeing off.
    Hole 7. Par five. There's an invisible deep hollow short and left of the green. You really can't go for it in two - too risky.
    Hole 12. Short par four and very tough. You want to hit a club that will reach the crest that you can see over the hollow. Favour the centre/right. Be sure to go and check what awaits on your approach shot - there's a very steep climb to the green.
    Hole 13. Short downhill par four. As above, you want to hit a club that will reach the crest you can see beyond the hollow. That's the safest shot. The green is away to the right. There's a stop/go system in operation so wait for the green light beyond the fairway.
    Hole 15. Index 1 or 2. Unless you hit a perfect drive, play short and right of the green with your second.

Carne
    Hole 1. Favour the left side of fairway. Blind second should always favour the left side as banks tilt that way down to the green. If you have 150 yards to go, you want to hit it about 120 as the ball will run a lot.
    Hole 6. Favour the right as much as possible as the green is out of sight but tucked into the left.
    Hole 8. Again, favour the right hand side as fairway goes down through a chute on the right hand side.
    Hole 11. Don't go big on your drive. It's an easy 200 yarder, no more, with green sharply up to the right. You can afford to go a little long on the approach as there's a bank at the back, but favour the right side if that's what you plan to do.
    Hole 12. As above, an easy iron and the green is up to your left. Both 11 and 12 require very careful shots as being short will see the ball run back to you.
    Hole 17. Incredibly tough par four. Don't go left off the tee. Don't go right on the approach. Large hollows in both instances. And don't go beyond the flag as it's a steep downhill putt if you do.
    18. Par five. There's a huge chasm threatening your second shot but you can't see it. It's a bit of a hit and hope scenario that then leaves an uphill approach to a perched green.

All in all, a very easy couple of rounds of golf :eek:

I'm playing as well - starting at Co Sligo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Played Enniscrone 3 times last month on a work event, and it's a fantastic course. Like nothing i've ever played before, and can be really punishing. I stole this from another boards regular (can't remember who...sorry :P) before i went, and it seemed pretty accurate.
    Hole 1 - a deceiving Par 4, looks easy on the eye, rescue club towards the green shed is the shot to play, and a 7 iron into the green, trying to hit the left side of the green which will feed the ball back. Green sloped back to front. Daunting second shot as it looks very narrow.

Hole 2 - a great Par 5. Someone said not to hit driver, I would disagree, you can hit driver and you will run down to the flat rough down the bottom of the hill and can hit a nice 6 or 7 iron from there to just in front of the elevated green. Equally, if you don't want a blind second, you can hit a 4 iron or rescue just to the top of the hill. 2 good hits and you will be on in 2, but is a very dangerous hole.

Hole 3 - a Par 3, don't go left or your gone. I normally hit an 8 iron in, also don't go past the pin or you will do very well to 2-putt.

Hole 4 - another Par 5 with a blind tee shot, you have to hit down the left side over a dune, and it is straight forward after that.

Hole 5 - a great Par 4, if you are into the wind you will do very well to reach in 2. Very tough green aswell.

Hole 6 - a great hole, and a tough one. Get your drive away and miss the bunkers, I normally play a full high 6 iron off my front foot to try land softly, it is probably 20 feet up, this elevated green. If your short, you need a fine chip to get close.

Hole 7- a lovely Par 5, tee off an elevated tee box, hit your second just short of the fairway bunkers and you are left with at most a wedge into the green. Aim right of the pin always, there is plenty of room, more than you think.

Hole 8 - index 18, and how it is index 18, is baffling. 170 yard Par 3, and if you are into the wind, you could be hitting at least a rescue, I have seen people hit driver into it, and bunkers all around it. On a normal day, it is still a 6-7 iron.

Hole 9 - along the bay is tough, a Par 4. Aim up the left side with your drive, and a good second needed.

Hole 10 - a good Par 4 aswell, again along the bay, extremely tough with a big wind blowing across you. Aim down the right if possible to be safe, the key to the hole is just keeping the ball in play.

Hole 11 - a lovely Par 3. Go left and your ball is gone, go right and your ball is gone down into a 40-50 foot hole, you have to be straight, it is an easy 7 iron.

Hole 12 - a beautiful hole, Index 3 par 4. It is a short dog leg left, I hit a rescue club to the top of the hill, if you go with driver you will have too much club. An 8 or 9 into the green from the top of the hill, it is cut into the dune, an amazing spectacle, and a very tough green.

Hole 13 - a dog leg right. There is no point cutting the corner as the reward does not outweigh the risk. I hit a nice 3 wood or easy driver over the stone, and the ball will feed down the hole, and you are only 70-80 yards out, so no point at all trying to go for the green off the tee, when you are guaranteed Par playing safe with a good bird chance.

Hole 14 - a short Par 5, get your drive up the left side near the bell, and I normally go for the green with my 2nd with a rescue club, over the small bank on the right, 2 good shots and you have an outside eagle chance and a great birdie opportunity.

Hole 15 - Index 1. Very tough par 4 on a windy day, just get the ball on the fairway or you wont get par. 2nd shot is sort of blind, green is cut to the left behind a dune and there is every sort of slope on it, a very tough green. Dont go long.

Hole 16 - a tough Par 5, hit your drive down the left, hit a nice iron through the gap, try to chip on and make your 5, going for the green in 2 is extremely dangerous, trouble everywhere.

Hole 17 - a nice Par 3 from an elevated tee, normally a 9 iron on a calm day, a solid hit and your there, but the ball wont hold on the green so you need a bit of luck.

Hole 18 - a terrific Par 4, a cracker of a drive and your still hitting a 7 iron into the green, which is surrounded by bunkers . It is a very tough finishing hole, don't go left off the tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Another great week this year at the Atlantic Coast Challenge in Carne, Enniscrone and Rosses Point. Pleasant conditions with warm weather this year and did not have to get out the rain gear and modest wind. However the recent warm weather has baked the fairways which were running very fast with the ball bouncing along often into the rough leading frustratingly to some lost balls on holes with blind shots particularly in Carne. It was really unusual not to see a blade of green grass on fairways especially on those cracking holes among the dunes in Enniscrone. Greens however on all courses were in great shape.

Has anyone seen results posted for the week as we had to head home from Rosses Point after our game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

How was the welcome in Rosses Point this year??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Carne and Enniscrone are super super courses however I've always felt deflated with Rosses.
    I don't think it's a bad course, it's a fine course, but just feel that it's overrated, the 17th is by far the best hole but would be much better if they shortened it, second par 3 also a gem.
    I'd say Rosses is as overrated as Carne is underrated..IMHO

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,842 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

How did Nenagh do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

How did Nenagh do ?

It's coming home... Links golf is coming home... to Tipp.

Looks like a team from Nenagh won again with 299 points. Just from glance. Link to scores on Carne Golf Links facebook page.

PARlance wrote: »
    It's coming home... Links golf is coming home... to Tipp.

Looks like a team from Nenagh won again with 299 points. Just from glance. Link to scores on Carne Golf Links facebook page.

Did they seriously win it again - lol :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭plumber77

Did they seriously win it again - lol :D:D:D:D

According to that sheet they finished with 299 in 2nd, 18 points behind the winners

plumber77 wrote: »
    According to that sheet they finished with 299 in 2nd, 18 points behind the winners

Don't know how I missed that whopper. 317 points is some going. No associated club listed. Answers on a postcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭plumber77

Don't know how I missed that whopper. 317 points is some going. No associated club listed. Answers on a postcard.

Could have been Nenagh B team ðŸ˜

Holy **** that is some score

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

How was the welcome in Rosses Point this year??

Would have loved to spend a little more time there, but we'd to hit the road quickly afterwards. Welcome really was excellent! Invited in to see the Cecil Ewing room.

Course was lovely too, the 17th is crazy golf. I still don't know what club to hit off the tee. I went 4i and it ran through into bad rough left side of path. Did well to find it, hack it out and bogey the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Would have loved to spend a little more time there, but we'd to hit the road quickly afterwards. Welcome really was excellent! Invited in to see the Cecil Ewing room.

Course was lovely too, the 17th is crazy golf. I still don't know what club to hit off the tee. I went 4i and it ran through into bad rough left side of path. Did well to find it, hack it out and bogey the hole.

That's good to hear!
    On 17, I played it Wed evening (after you lot were all gone!) and hit 4i off the tee to the plateau in the middle of the fariway and another onto the green. There are basically three ways to play it:
    1) Hit driver straight down the middle of the fairway and carry the end of the fairway: if you carry it far enough, you're guaranteed a good lie (in this weather, you could try same with a 3W). Always risky but a big reward because because of a flat stance and short approach
    2) Hit straight down the fairway to the plateau at the end of the fairway with whatever gets you there. You've got a flat stance and nearly a look at the green, prob 190-200 yds
    3) Hit to the right corner of the fairway (or semi) but don't go too far. Usually 210-220 to middle of green and you can see it. This is my preferred option.
    If the pin looks like it's near the front, the safest "miss" is left as it gives you the best opportunity of getting it up and down. The problem I see most people have is the miss is short or rolls back down. If the pins is near the front, this is very difficult to get up and down. Too short and it could land at your feet again; too long and you could be chipping again after your putt!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Wftablueboy

I heard that the winning team were 3 ladies from Belfast , who are distant members in one of the 3 courses,l was told by 3 lads from Leeds who played with me yesterday on their way home

I heard that the winning team were 3 ladies from Belfast , who are distant members in one of the 3 courses,l was told by 3 lads from Leeds who played with me yesterday on their way home

Winners announced on the ACC facebook page and the 3 men with 317 were the overall winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Wftablueboy

Winners announced on the ACC facebook page and the 3 men with 317 were the overall winners.

Should have said 3 gullible men from Leeds that would believe anything 3 women in a pub tell them .....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

First time this year and a really enjoyable 3 days.

Carne first day, very tough course and was suffering from lack of water, by far the worst greens and you’d really want to have played the course a few times to know where not to go as there are some treacherous just off the fairways, huge gulley on left of 17 for example. Probably too many blind shots for my liking.

Day 2 Enniscrone, what a fantastic golf course - it was a privilege to play it and lucky to get such benign conditions. Greens in really great shape and the contrast with Carne was striking. As mentioned though, miss the greens and some awful lies await, like missing the 17th on the right!!

Day 3, Rosses. Very good course, wind was up more day 3 and were playing off the whites so it played a good bit tougher than Enniscrone which we played off yellows. Some cracking holes, loved the par 3 15th? Get in the tough here and it’s full of thorns which can make getting back to the fairway a real challenge.

Overall I would rank the courses Enniscrone, Rosses, then Carne.

Would highly recommend to anyone who’s not played it - all 3 in top 15/20 in Ireland and the Sligo scenery is beautiful. I’d love to play the courses again when they were green just for aesthetics as they were all brown, turning white through lack of water

• Advertisement

Question for lads who’ve played previously, did your 0.1s or cuts get processed for the event??

Question for lads who’ve played previously, did your 0.1s or cuts get processed for the event??

This was my third year and I don't think so. This year I had a good score on one of the days so was wondering what would happen my singles card but was told when I rang Carne that it was a team comp and singles scores were non counting!! When I checked on the day in Enniscrone I was told the SS on Tuesday was 37 and 35 in Rosses Point on Wednesday. So I am wondering whether or not I should report my scores to my club but feel I should cut myself and report the scores. What say other??

I’ve tried to do this with opens before only to have my handicap secretary tell me he can’t do anything until the other club upload the results

I’ve tried to do this with opens before only to have my handicap secretary tell me he can’t do anything until the other club upload the results

As far as I know the clubs do not upload the results. I took a picture on my phone of my signed singles card before handing it in so will see what happens

bmay529 wrote: »
    As far as I know the clubs do not upload the results. I took a picture on my phone of my signed singles card before handing it in so will see what happens

But handicap sec would need official confirmation of css in order to implement a cut surely??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

bmay529 wrote: »

The h/cap sec only has to hit the button, 'UPLOAD'.

It's not rocket science.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The h/cap sec only has to hit the button, 'UPLOAD'.

It's not rocket science.

You’re going to have o explain that to me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You’re going to have o explain that to me please?

No problem. When I was h/cap secretary and all processing was complete and the competition was closed down, the last thing I pressed was 'upload' just before I switched off the computer and went home.

And likewise, just before I opened a new competition, I would press 'download', and any opens or other events our members had entered would be returned.Provided of course that the away club had uploaded their info!

We use Gensys as our h/capping software.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    No problem. When I was h/cap secretary and all processing was complete and the competition was closed down, the last thing I pressed was 'upload' just before I switched off the computer and went home.

And likewise, just before I opened a new competition, I would press 'download', and any opens or other events our members had entered would be returned.Provided of course that the away club had uploaded their info!

We use Gensys as our h/capping software.

None of the competitors in ACC entered their details into the computer - it was just manual cards hence my uncertainty as to whether they will reach my handicap sec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

plumber77 wrote: »

Shock horror, Nenagh actually came second! They must have underestimated the competition this year. Not like them to underperform.....

Re: qualifying scores. We played this event last 3 years and scores were never qualifying.

Prob what attracts some of the "high-scoring" teams.

As an aside we did our own thing this year in the same week as the ACC.
    Went up to Ballyliffin Sunday morning and watched some real golf.

Then played Murvagh on Monday. Never have I been so disappointed with a golf course I'd heard so much about. No definition, which I suppose is understandable considering recent weather. I mean nothing, all brown, impossible to tell where fairways began and ended.
    And the greens were appalling. Fair enough, they say they can't cut them due to no growth, but they could at least roll them. They were so long they'd gone to seed.

Tuesday we played Strandhill. What a gem, not long but strategic. Some local knowledge would have done us a huge favour! Beautiful scenery, gorgeous greens and a few nice trick holes. We'll defo be back.

Wed Enniscrone. Won't go into detail here, you've all played it.

Thurs Ballinrobe. A parkland beauty. Lovely greens, course was amazingly lush considering the weather, loads of trees. Few nice water features too. Only downfall was the bunkers. Atrocious stoney sand but more importantly very poorly maintained, by the members rather than greenkeepers. Hadn't been raked in weeks. Despite that I'll definitely be back.

Hope everyone enjoyed the ACC, always a great week.

Advertisement