Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifesavers

Options
  • 18-06-2018 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi can someone send me a link on where lifesavers are to be done please? I know the obvious but was told id have failed test because i didnt do them while bumper to bumper in a line of traffic. Also i didnt do enough going around a roundabout.
    Okay so maybe i don't know the obvious!

Mods please move if there is a more appropriate thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Decent video here from someone who posted it on Biker.ie of their test. Shows all the lifesaver turns and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

kavanagh_h wrote: »
    Hi can someone send me a link on where lifesavers are to be done please? I know the obvious but was told id have failed test because i didnt do them while bumper to bumper in a line of traffic. Also i didnt do enough going around a roundabout.

If you are stopped and then moving off you should do them so I assume while in the bumper to bumper traffic you had to stop and go, that or you moved lane position which also requires a shoulder check.

If you didn't do enough on the roundabouts then you didn't do 2, 1 on the way in and 1 on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

kavanagh_h wrote: »

The instructor wants to see you really moving your head.

So do just that,properly turn your head left and right so they see the helmet moving left and right.

if the instructor is 20 yards back in the car,hes needs to be able to see helmet movement.....for turning left and right and especially for lifesavers

So make sure you really move your head from side to side.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

Like Stewy said exaggerate your head movements so he can see you clearly check, I was told when moving off from a traffic stop a quick left right shoulder check is something they like to see. I shoulder checked, indicated, life saver then manoeuvred for every turn and lane change and they were happy out with that.
    Look, Signale, Lifesaver, Manoeuvre.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Don't overthink it.
    They call it different things, but all it is is just checking your blind spots, which are not seen in your mirrors.
    Needed BEFORE you change direction, IN THAT DIRECTION.
    As advised by the lads above, TURN YOUR HEAD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

The reason for doing them in bumper to bumper traffic and trust me when I say this, you'll either;

Clean yourself and another motorcyclist off

Clean yourself and a cyclist off

Or

Bash of a car/bus/truck and clean yourself off.

The shoulder check is a must, I do it just the same on, bike, motorcycle and car.

Trust me, it's not a habit you should just learn for the test, do it whenever your about to change direction. It might literally save your life one day.

For the test, do it in good time, so that if there is a problem you can make an adjustment if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Thank you very much everyone. Thats very helpfull. Xx

Advertisement