Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior door sills/tresholds - Where to buy?

Options
  • 18-06-2018 2:27am

Howdy folks,

Recently put in a wide 10ft sliding door, and have the paving in now, too.

Have realised I've not yet dealt with how to join them together properly and so I've been googling aluminium door sills, tresholds, etc. but can't seem to find an Irish shop that will make one or sell one to me.

Was wondering if anyone had any idea? I have a bit of concrete as a ramp (about 2-3 inches deep) but it's quite thin and is breaking up (I had intended to deal with this issue a while back, but it just slipped my mind until now that the paving is down).

Anyone got any suggestions or ideas?

For reference, this is what I have at the moment (paving is yet to be grouted):

doorsill1.jpg

Cheers to anyone able to help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Try Homescape in Greenogue Rathcoole

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I dont like alu or pvc thresholds. ideally that patio area should have been flush to the door (that was the cleanest method and should have been accounted for.

However it is what it is.

Id be trying to put the same stone over the area, so that it sits flush with the door. creating a step between patio solid and door threshold.

But thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

looks to me as if the patio is above the dpc

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

It's not though I think that's part of the problem so to speak.if it was level or above then he'd have no threshold problem.

It's about 20 mm below from what I can see

Howdy do folks.

The patio was deliberately kept lower than the Damp proof course. I wanted it all level and flush but was advised that bringing it to, or above, DPC was asking for trouble and the safest thing was to keep it lower, and get a treshold for it to cover it up and make it look nice.

I have seen in some houses that they put the drain directly against the door (rather than in my case where theres a slab first, that has a miniscule fall away from the door towards the drain).

I really didn't expect I'd have any issue whatsoever getting a treshold/sill for it. I'm surprised it wasn't a quick google to find an online shop, and an order for next day like pretty much everything else I've needed for the house.

Listermint, your idea to make a tiny step out of the paving was on my mind, but I'm concerned about water getting under them from weep holes on the door. Also mildly concerned that a tiny step (probably only an inch or two in it) would be a trip hazard for anyone not expecting it. Although, aesthetically, it is something I'd like to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

listermint wrote: »

It's not though I think that's part of the problem so to speak.if it was level or above then he'd have no threshold problem.

It's about 20 mm below from what I can see
    As you know, that's very tight for splashing rain

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

I'm having a similar issue at the moment. Got external insulation and new windows. Detail on the threshold, where the ewi now protrudes on the surface below the door, fell between the cracks.
    The window company have stepped in and are basically fitting a pressed aluminium right angle along the "step" in a colour matching the new door frames.
    So.... Id imagine whoever provided the door could do it for you?

As you know, that's very tight for splashing rain

Indeed, I would probably have left a 100mm Gap and filled with river pepples between patio start and foundations start. level to the patio surface.

So this is the idea being floated at the moment. It's to lay two slabs on top of each other to make a small step into the house. The pics below show the rough idea of what I'm thinking, but in these pics they're just thrown into place to give an idea of what it might be like (they're not actually fixed in place or cut or anything obviously).

steps1.jpg

steps3.jpg

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I would Re-think/plan sub ground and place the drain at the door, correct the levels and cut/place slabs where drain currently is.But that's me.

That step will be a continuous annoyance/forgetful hazard.

Nice doors !

• Advertisement

Looks fine to me, Its got depth its shallow. Thats exactly what i was thinking.

Often you will have folks who over think or over engineer.

Looks perfect. make sure there is a sufficient slope on it for run off.

I would Re-think/plan sub ground and place the drain at the door, correct the levels and cut/place slabs where drain currently is.But that's me.

That step will be a continuous annoyance/forgetful hazard.

Nice doors !

I think that would be a lot of work unfortunately, and way out of budget for me at the moment. I think the step might be a happy medium.

I've left it sitting in place since uploading it here and i havent found it as annoying as I expected I would, so i think that may be the solution I opt for.

Re: the doors - they are the oddest part of the extension. Absolutely wanted a wide sliding door as i knew it'd be a massive make/break on the 'modern' aspect of the extension, but was building on a shoe string budget.

The day I commenced work on the extension, those doors appeared on Adverts for sale. I got a price of over 5k for a set of similar doors from Senator Windows, got those on adverts for €1,700.

Unfortunately the downside was they needed to be fitted by lads that dont fit doors, so they complicated things a lot, although it worked out generally well in the end. They just need to be properly sealed up and they're grand (bit of wind or air is getting in somewhere, as you can hear them whistling in hard wind).

I've not seen a similar set of doors on adverts before/after those ones (mind you, i havent really been looking), and id love to know the manufacturer for future reference but never asked. :rolleyes:

listermint wrote: »
    Looks fine to me, Its got depth its shallow. Thats exactly what i was thinking.

Often you will have folks who over think or over engineer.

Looks perfect. make sure there is a sufficient slope on it for run off.

I might be following your advice. This will likely be the solution i go for. I ran the hose on it and it all spilled away fairly swiftly. Bit of sand/cement and grouting and they should be sealed up nicely, too. Probably won't be done properly for a week or two but at least I have a potential solution I can use. I was worrying there for a little bit! :o

Advertisement