Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been physically assaulted by drunk family members?

Options
  • 17-06-2018 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

I have. It gets to me to this day. I'm supposed to brush it off because they were drunk. If a random stranger did the same thing, I'd be told to go to the Guards and make a statement.

It was two separate times and two separate relatives. Neither has been held accountable for their actions. Both times it was just kinda hushed up or passed off as too much drink :o:rolleyes: Like the family wanted to forget about it, rather than deal with it.

Anyone else have experience of this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Honestly. Garda. **** that. You never know what type of mad stuff will come next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Two separate relatives you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Wife broke my nose, one night. I was pouring a bottle of wine over her head at the time.

Ah, the memories. We had some craic! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Your Face wrote: »
    Two separate relatives you say.
    one common denominator

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

So what did you do to deserve it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nope. If they had, I would respond. Fight fire with fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

Whenever my dad had a sizable sum of cash he would drink himself into oblivion until the money was gone. This was usually a two week bender. He would fight, argue, drink and drive, get up hungover and drive to the early morning pubs, he would come home and be argumentative and belligerent. He'd been doing this since we were kids. Luckily, he was unemployed most of the time so it wasn't persistent. Our Mother, in a weird way, said that she was delighted he was idle and unemployed as if he was working, he would have been at it all the time. When his money was gone he would then be as quiet as a mouse when the funds ran out and would act as if nothing had happened. This pattern went on for years.

In early 1999, he received a settlement of £12,000 and literally spent everyday from April until October drunk. The country was in the middle of a construction boom. He was a qualified welder, an in demand skill and should have been making a mint. Instead, he was spending his days in the local pubs acting the big shot, fooling himself into thinking he was an important man of the people.

I confronted him in the September, I was 18. He wanted to know what 'my ****ing problem' was with him. I called him out, spelled out what a prick he was being, wiped the floor with him and he just got up and just threw a punch at me. A right cross to my jaw.

I'd hit a nerve and he knew I wasn't being fooled by him.

He got one back with interest on it. That punch was years in the making. I left the room and we didn't really speak for a year after it. We were like ships in the night under the same roof. He was effectively a lodger in our house, coming and going, a drunken wolf in a sober sheep's clothing. Whiskey was his poison. He was an arsehole with the pints but a pure and utter cnut with the whiskey. He had his fair share of demons.

Again in 2006, he was in the middle of another bender. He came home and tried to read me the riot act about how our mother had us all brain washed against him. The idea that I was gullible and a bit stupid riled me up. I just told him to **** off, that he was in denial about his drinking problem and I left the room and went upstairs to my own. He followed me up. Came in and closed the door behind him. He wanted to get to the bottom of 'this'. He always had our mother to blame by hanging around in a dead beat marriage. He knew I saw through it and his deflection that we were brainwashed was a part of that bull**** excuse. He wanted it both ways, to get drunk whenever he wanted to, but demanded the utmost respect at the same time. That was fertile ground for a toxic family.

I asked him to get out of the way in my room that night. He collapsed back onto the door so as to block it. I lost it and like a cornered animal, grabbed him and flung him onto my bed. I went down stairs, got my coat and was about to leave when I was sucker punched in the back of the head by him. Luckily, he was too pissed to actually knock me out or down. I swerved around and punched him into the chest. Like a cheating footballer, looking for a penalty, he hit the deck like a sack of spuds with howls of pain. I just walked out.

Interestingly, on both those occasions, we were alone in the house. No witnesses. Needless to say, he pretty much claimed I was the instigator but I no longer have any semblance of a relationship with him. He is still in denial about his boozing and he still contends we are brainwashed against him. I guess cutting someone that toxic out is much better than having intermittent punch ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

@Valoren it's a sad story, I think you have posted about it before - is your Dad the one who wanted to be a football scout ?

Really shows the issues of alcohol in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

@Valoren it's a sad story, I think you have posted about it before - is your Dad the one who wanted to be a football scout ?

Really shows the issues of alcohol in this country.

That's the one. Posted in the thread about how abusive spouses stand by or remain with their abusive partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

valoren wrote: »
    That's the one. Posted in the thread about how abusive spouses stand by or remain with their abusive partners.

I know of a situation way way way way worse than what you described above. Heartbreaking.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

My father.
    I feel like he blamed me for any misgivings during my childhood.
    I'd get beatings with the belt and Christ the pain you'd have from it, verbally abused etc all under the drink guise.
    When he was sober he was fine but the moment the drink touched his lips he was a different person.
    Everything came to a head in 2010, was watching top gear and my mother made a comment about it.
    Don't know why but my dad became furious so I told him to shut up talking to mum like that.
    Came at me then trying to choke hold me, wrestling away in the corner of the kitchen when I was able to wiggle free and lay some punches.
    My brother came down and then separated us.
    We didn't speak for about a year and I honestly thought my mother was going to divorce him.
    We've never been the same since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

one common denominator

Are you insinuating that the person assaulted is at fault? George, is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

one common denominator

Alcohol ;)

Advertisement