Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this con work?

Options
  • 17-06-2018 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

Right, so I'm a smoker, one of the smelly bastards who recently had a thread dedicated to them. Later this month I'll be in Dublin aiport and I'd quite like to avail of the cheap cartons of cigarettes, but I'm only visiting London so I don't believe this is an option unforunately.

I tried to buy them in February and was asked to display my boarding pass I think. However, is it possible that someone I know could send me a screenshot of one of their old boarding passes, obviously to New York or something, and I could use this to trick that weapon of a woman into giving me cheap smokes?

I imagine they simply visually scan the boarding pass with their eyes to ensure that my destination means I am eligible for the cheap cartons?

I realise boarding passes probably have dates on them, but I'm handy in MS Paint and could easily doctor this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Pretty sure they scan the boarding pass itself, which obviously wouldn't work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Wont the boarding pass need to be valid for the day you're travelling?

not that I've ever seen such a thing but I'm sure you could get pulled for a customs check on entering the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

I think they scan your boarding pass and it needs to be for that day...but I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Everything is called a con these days. Just call it a joke. If you get caught laugh.
    Be grand. Say your only having a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Wont the boarding pass need to be valid for the day you're travelling?

not that I've ever seen such a thing but I'm sure you could get pulled for a customs check on entering the UK.

You can buy the cartons of cigarettes anyway obviously, they're just significantly cheaper if you're not flying to the UK, so if they find 200 smokes on me it wouldn't be a big deal I don't think.

• Advertisement

tringle wrote: »
    I think they scan your boarding pass and it needs to be for that day...but I could be wrong.

Considering you're the second person who said this, it's possible you're probably right. I knew it was too good to be true :(

I don't remember seeing any scanning device there last time, but maybe they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Even for bloody the GIGANTIC chocolate bars they scan your pass féck sake...

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Why not ask people if they are travelling to the USA and not availing of the benefit and ask nicely if they'd help you out?

jim salter wrote: »
    Why not ask people if they are travelling to the USA and not availing of the benefit and ask nicely if they'd help you out?

It's an idea, but not a very good one I don't think. I don't like hassling people and although some might be more than willing to help a brother out, I wouldn't like to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Everything is called a con these days. Just call it a joke. If you get caught laugh.

It's a prank bro! IT'S JUST A PRANK BRO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Just hang around the cigarette display us addicts will always help each other out

They definitely scan the boarding pass.

Just give them up, ya smelly bastard.

(I may also be a smelly bastard from time to time)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

jim salter wrote: »

I'm not sure if they do it in Dublin, but a lot of the time they only let you pick up your purchase at the boarding gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

Hammer89 wrote: »
    You can buy the cartons of cigarettes anyway obviously, they're just significantly cheaper if you're not flying to the UK, so if they find 200 smokes on me it wouldn't be a big deal I don't think.

Just buy locally off some young lads...200 for 40 quid dropped to your door

It's what nearly everyone I know that smokes deos

Blaas4life wrote: »
    Just buy locally off some young lads...200 for 40 quid dropped to your door

I don't live in Ballymun I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just steal the smokes. Probably easier than the other cons you can try.

don't steal the smokes, neither biko nor boards condone stealing in any way

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Right, so I'm a smoker, one of the smelly bastards who recently had a thread dedicated to them. Later this month I'll be in Dublin aiport and I'd quite like to avail of the cheap cartons of cigarettes, but I'm only visiting London so I don't believe this is an option unforunately.

I tried to buy them in February and was asked to display my boarding pass I think. However, is it possible that someone I know could send me a screenshot of one of their old boarding passes, obviously to New York or something, and I could use this to trick that weapon of a woman into giving me cheap smokes?

I imagine they simply visually scan the boarding pass with their eyes to ensure that my destination means I am eligible for the cheap cartons?

I realise boarding passes probably have dates on them, but I'm handy in MS Paint and could easily doctor this.

Maybe watch some youtubes of "Nothing to Declare"? They would eat you for breakfast! Might even ...... arrest you too!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,271 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No no, just tell them "it's not cigarettes, it's a bomb"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,271 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Even for bloody the GIGANTIC chocolate bars they scan your pass féck sake...

Quit yer moanin' ya fat fecker

Advertisement