Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet seating fitting type

Options
  • 17-06-2018 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if there is a particular name on the type of toilet seat fitting shown in the images below?

Actually, I notice that it may be the same type of toilet as discussed in this recent thread Removing toilet- can’t see mounting bolts

In my case the fittings are also concealed, i.e. if you look under the pan you do not see the fittings that hold the seat in place exiting the pan as is more common

The reason I ask is that I'm having trouble finding the correct seat for this toilet and have shown staff in a few places the images but they could not help.

Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/KlzKK8p

https://imgur.com/a/cIoRmEk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Close up images of the seat hinge don't give too much information, although I imagine the screw in the middle of the hinge will release the seat hinge from the pan.
    Take a picture showing the full side of the pan for a better assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's just the hinge connecting the seat to the lid. The connection to the toilet is underneath. Take a picture underneath and low down from the side looking up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I don't have other images to hand at the moment except the one below since the property is leased out and I'll have to arrange to view it. I'll try to get some more this week.

Indeed the screw in the middle of the hinge enters the pan and holds the seat in place.
    From beneath there is nothing to see, only ceramic. There are no fittings protruding from the underside, the aforementioned screw enters the pan but does not exit it and cannot be seen from below.

https://imgur.com/a/pYAtoIb

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I suspect that screw is connected to some kind of expanding plastic fixing, a bit like a plasterboard fixing, that squishes up and holds the fitting in place when tightened up. Do some Googling on "blind toilet seat fixings" and you'll see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

From beneath there is nothing to see, only ceramic. There are no fittings protruding from the underside, the aforementioned screw enters the pan but does not exit it and cannot be seen from below.

In that case it's called a blind fixing. It's a diffet br fitting type to the standard. But there are fitting kits that will allow a normal seat to be fitted aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mellor wrote: »
    In that case it's called a blind fixing. It's a diffet br fitting type to the standard. But there are fitting kits that will allow a normal seat to be fitted aswell.
    Yes, you can buy the screws and fixings separately and just use those instead of the standard bolt and wingnut supplied with the seat.

E.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toilet-Cover-Fixings-Fitting-Screws/dp/B01JC6UMHS/ref=pd_sim_60_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01JC6UMHS&pd_rd_r=0fbb0f01-72e3-11e8-a813-419d464de088&pd_rd_w=wJRTO&pd_rd_wg=76nLk&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=3274180622111699416&pf_rd_r=TD6K0Y07VH73DJF5W9T5&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=TD6K0Y07VH73DJF5W9T5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Thanks a million lads, I assumed it was a special type of toilet seat that was needed rather than considering that the fittings could be interchangeable

I know now what to look for

Advertisement