Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilimanjaro lemosho route

Options
  • 16-06-2018 8:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hey, Im considering climbing kilimanjaro and doing the 8 day lemosho route with Ian Taylor treking . I heard this route and the 8 days gives the best chance of success. Would appreciate any advice specificall on fitness prep , thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

i went up kilimanjaro about 15 years ago on the machame route i think .. we were in tents, and it was really good, well worth doing.

the more days you are on it the better so if its 8 days thats good, more acclimatisation.. i think we were 5 days , with one of them having a bit of descent down to a camp to allow for a bit of rest and getting used to altitude..

physically it wasnt the toughest thing i ever did, just a lot of walking, certainly no harder than a long day out in the hills in ireland, actually probably easier, so if you are fit from hillwalking youl be grand, all i can reccomend is to do a few really long hillwalks to get used to being on your feet for a long time..

how each individual reacts to altitude is the thing you cant account for, 5 of us started, i was the only one that got to the top, the other 4 suffered from various degrees of altitude sickness and didnt make it.. i didnt have any problems with it but its not that i was fitter, just luck ..

the 8 days will really help with the altitude though

Advertisement