Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were on a desert island

Options
  • 16-06-2018 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

So say fifty people from a plane crash landed on a desert island and everybody was doing their own thing and mostly surviving and getting by.

Say one of the chaps came up with a plan for society.

In this society you’d work hard and pay a chunk of your money to taxes. Now in return you would

-pay exorbitant amounts for rent
    -get a Garda force who make up the numbers to look like they do stuff
    - have a health service that gives you a two year wait time to see anyone and when you do they probably feck up the test you need
    - the roads will be potholed
    - the profits of anything will go to a rich lad on the mainland
    - the leader of these fifty people will be fairly well off and whoever he needs will do ok
    - if bad things happen they will be covered up
    - if anybody uncovers them he will be called a pedophile

It’s not all bad though
    - every few years you could vote on whether or not you can have an abortion or be gay and get married or to remove church and state relationships. Anything really that doesn’t cost money.

Would you accept it or go back to hunting rabbits and picking pineapples.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That's one heck of a desert island. Roads, rabbits, pineapples...…...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

Deffo go with the pineapple one...I do like pizza

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

So say fifty people from a plane crash landed on a desert island and everybody was doing their own thing and mostly surviving and getting by.

Say one of the chaps came up with a plan for society.

In this society you’d work hard and pay a chunk of your money to taxes. Now in return you would

-pay exorbitant amounts for rent
    -get a Garda force who make up the numbers to look like they do stuff
    - have a health service that gives you a two year wait time to see anyone and when you do they probably feck up the test you need
    - the roads will be potholed
    - the profits of anything will go to a rich lad on the mainland
    - the leader of these fifty people will be fairly well off and whoever he needs will do ok
    - if bad things happen they will be covered up
    - if anybody uncovers them he will be called a pedophile

It’s not all bad though
    - every few years you could vote on whether or not you can have an abortion or be gay and get married or to remove church and state relationships. Anything really that doesn’t cost money.

Would you accept it or go back to hunting rabbits and picking pineapples.

So the alternatives are :

Building your own house as best you can
    Having to suck it up if the guy down the road who is stronger than you beats you up and throws you out of the house you constructed to have it for himself
    Heal yourself with whatever herbs you can find
    Have no roads
    There will be nothing to ship off anywhere
    And if things go wrong, nobody will do anything at all about anything.

Well, that's a tough choice all right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

I'd focus on more positive things in life like stuff that I can control. If all you do is look at the negative stuff in life then you'll just be miserable the whole time. Sure there is stuff that annoys me and a lot of tax payers money is wasted on certain things, but there are a lot of positive things happening in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Are you and the guy who wants to go to America sharing an account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Has anyone mentioned building a boat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Shenshen wrote: »
    So the alternatives are :

Building your own house as best you can
    Having to suck it up if the guy down the road who is stronger than you beats you up and throws you out of the house you constructed to have it for himself
    Heal yourself with whatever herbs you can find
    Have no roads
    There will be nothing to ship off anywhere
    And if things go wrong, nobody will do anything at all about anything.

Well, that's a tough choice all right!

I find after a few squabbles the fellas who keep getting in fights would be so injured they’d either get murdered or be banished. If I was out hunting rabbits for my dinner and some Hercules took them off me. The following day I’d sleep then cut his hair while he slept that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

I find after a few squabbles the fellas who keep getting in fights would be so injured they’d either get murdered or be banished. If I was out hunting rabbits for my dinner and some Hercules took them off me. The following day I’d sleep then cut his hair while he slept that night.

Like a ninja barber?

That'll show him :P

I think the more likely scenario would be that the guys looking at getting things easily and for free would get themselves into organised groups before anyone else does. They usually do.

And I assume you also have a medical degree and drugs and surgical equipment would grow from plants on your island?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Hang about, if ye know the rich lad on the mainland, would you not ask him to send a rescue team?

Kolido wrote: »
    Hang about, if ye know the rich lad on the mainland, would you not ask him to send a rescue team?

He didn’t get rich by giving boats to anybody that asked for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Kolido wrote: »

He will send the rescue team but will beggar the children and the grandchildren as payment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

It wouldn't be the type of community that fifty people surviving in the wilderness would be making; one with a Health Service, Inland Revenue, Police Force.

They would be building something simpler and in line with their numbers and available resources. Everybody would be involved in food production. Then if some individuals have special skills they will be needed to perform in that role additionally. How decisions are made and who is in charge will depend on the group dynamics and individuals with leadership qualities etc.

In terms of larger groups with more resources and the types of more complicated organisation of society you can look at early Greek city states who grappled with these issues thousands of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So its treason then.

All Eyes On Rafah

Not one person has said if they would take the deal or go back hunting rabbits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Not one person has said if they would take the deal or go back hunting rabbits.

Apologies for not spelling it out clearly in my first response :

I'd take the deal.
    In my book, a potholes road is better than no road, and a health system with long waiting times is better than dying from something easily preventable or cureable, like measles or pneumonia. And somewhat corrupt guards fiddling with penalty points are preferable to the mafia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Shhhhh....be vewy vewy quiet.....I'm hunting.....WABBITS!

E Fudd c 1950.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wait, this is all just a really clever analogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Id only want to be on it if it was deserted no internet and loads of pineapples. The rabbits can stay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sounds like Animal Farm meets Lord of the Flies....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Will there be discs? I'm happy to hunt rabbits and pick pineapples but I couldn't do it if there are no discs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

You'd have to go through a Lord of the flies stage first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Is there broadband ? I'd like to keep the folks here updated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

For fifty people?

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

For fifty people?

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

Yes. There has to be room for all the pineapples we are going to bring home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭pavb2

Batavia's Graveyard a very good book but also disturbing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Batavias-Graveyard-Heretic-Historys-Bloodiest/dp/0609807161

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batavia_(ship)

It also didn't end too well for the Bounty mutineers on Pitcairn Island

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Is there free houses and free money for people that are hated and vilified? Cause that'd be swell.

Also, if we could have a forum for men to whinge and complain about women, migrants, Muslims etc. that would seal the deal.

• Advertisement

oneilla wrote: »
    Is there free houses and free money for people that are hated and vilified? Cause that'd be swell.

Also, if we could have a forum for men to whinge and complain about women, migrants, Muslims etc. that would seal the deal.

Well, now, but where would they whinge and complain about vegans, travellers and over-lenient prison sentences?

Advertisement