Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall Panelling Behind Cistern

Options
  • 16-06-2018 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭

Looking for some ideas here. My grandparents just had their toilet changed. The new cistern is smaller than the old one, but it is now apparent that whoever did the wall tiling tiled up to the sides of the cistern, so now there is a gap of maybe two and a half inches on the left and three inches on the right.

My grandfather would like me to just cut two pieces of timber to size and cover to gap, but I think something a little more elegant.

I was thinking of doing a area of t&g panelling extending either side,of and a little higher than the cistern with nice beading around the edge.

If anybody has any ideas, suggestions or Google images worth throwing up, I'd love to see them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Not a fan of any kind of timber in a bathroom. too much moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭cletus

Apart from retiling the room, any suggestions for a cover up so?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MrFireCoalMan

Check out Grosfillex pvc wall panels. Might be suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

They don't have any spare tiles sitting in their attic/shed? If you've got them then there should be enough play with the toilet that you can pop off the cistern and tile behind it.

If you don't have matching tiles then maybe get some that are a complimentary, contrasting colour and tile around the cistern - ie. make a bit of a feature out of it.

Either way, I'd go for tiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Get a bigger cistern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

T&G is fine, unless the area is being drenched in water then there will be no problems. If there was a problem with moisture then youd have a bigger moisture problem in the entire room, damp / mould and so on.

Just do the t&G its perfectly acceptable. make sure to paint or varnish it fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

listermint wrote: »
    T&G is fine, unless the area is being drenched in water then there will be no problems. If there was a problem with moisture then youd have a bigger moisture problem in the entire room, damp / mould and so on.

Just do the t&G its perfectly acceptable. make sure to paint or varnish it fully.

Personally I'd be a bit worried. The cistern will be at the temp. of the water coming in so you'll get condensation on the outside of the cistern, especially in winter and/or there's a shower in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭cletus

I've opted for plain white pvc t&g panelling. It can be stuck straight into the existing tiles, and moisture won't be a concern.

Thanks to all who offered advice and suggestions (even the fella who suggested that I replace the new cistern with a new cistern)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Personally I'd be a bit worried. The cistern will be at the temp. of the water coming in so you'll get condensation on the outside of the cistern, especially in winter and/or there's a shower in the room.

I've yet to see condensation on the outside of any cistern but sure look.

Advertisement