Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aritech GS610 Shock Sensor

• 16-06-2018 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

In the middle of the night when the alarm is set it has been going off when people go on the landing, the closest security piece is a shock sensor in the bathroom (there are only shock sensors upstairs). I opened the shock sensor up to see if there were any obvious wiring issues, but couldn't see any, wired it back up and refastened to the window frame.

However now when I set the alarm it warns me that I have an open zone upstairs. I have swapped sensors with another one from downstairs, but still get the same warning. So I don't think its the sensor. 

Unit : Aritech GS610 Shock Sensor

Any suggestions on to where to take my investigation ? I don't think buying a new unit will help. Can I wire the two wires going into the shock sensor to take it out of the equation ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭altor

Smoggy wrote: »
    In the middle of the night when the alarm is set it has been going off when people go on the landing, the closest security piece is a shock sensor in the bathroom (there are only shock sensors upstairs). I opened the shock sensor up to see if there were any obvious wiring issues, but couldn't see any, wired it back up and refastened to the window frame.

However now when I set the alarm it warns me that I have an open zone upstairs. I have swapped sensors with another one from downstairs, but still get the same warning. So I don't think its the sensor. 

Any suggestions on to where to take my investigation ? I don't think buying a new unit will help. Can I wire the two wires going into the shock sensor to take it out of the equation ?

Can you post a picture of the wiring inside the sensor?

If it was showing closed before you opened it, it should still show closed.
    Only way of finding a faulty device is with a multi meter.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Smoggy wrote: »

Did you turn the sensor head by any chance.?
    The writing on the sensor should be horizontal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

@Alotor - Wiring pic added. The zone use to be closed until I went messing :s

@Koolkid - AHHA ! The sensor is fitted horizontally, so I would have aligned the writing to the unit, so the writing will be vertical now ! Let me swap it to be horizontal ! Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That should sort it for you.

@Koolkid - That worked. All zones are now closed again. Thanks so much. Send me your beer donation page link ! :D

I have swapped around a sensor from downstairs with the one I think is faulty upstairs to see if that moves the problem downstairs. If it does I will order a new unit.

@altor - Thanks for your reply too.

• Advertisement

Your welcome.
    If that doesn't find the problem do you have a multimeter?

I can borrow one from a colleague.

No problem. If you still have an issue come back to me and we can go through testing the entire zone with the meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 seanbateman

Hi All,

I replaced a faulty Aritech GS613 shock sensor with a GS612, leaving the magnetic contact on the window. The supplier only had the GS612.

I assumed the only difference between the two was that one came with the magnetic contact and the other didn’t but the zone is closed even with the window open.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Sean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭davidconroy46

It looks like you have only wired up the shock detector

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

An Aritech GS 612 is a shock sensor only, it does not have a reed switch within it so is therefore solely a shock sensor.

An Aritech GS 613 is a shock sensor with an inbuilt reed switch, so is a 2 in 1 unit, it is a shock sensor and a contact.

By replacing a 613 with a 612, then you have lost the reed switch so your system is now incapable of noticing the window open.

Thanks a mil for coming back to me.

We had the alarm upgraded in 2019 but not all of the sensors were replaced. I get the impression it’s too small a job to replace 6 sensors because the guy who upgraded the system is apparently too busy to come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

I would not regard a service call, too small a job.

It wasn’t even a service call. He was to call out last Thursday to add 2 cameras to our system and replace the 6 shock sensors while he was out. Not as much as a phone call and he didn’t bother returning my text! If I don’t hear from him by Tuesday I’m going to get someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭davidconroy46

Replacing your sensors shouldn't beca problem for yourself. The camera system if hdd if you had a ladder and not afraid of heights. Buy the 2 cameras run a length of cat5 from recorder to each camera and buy the male/female Jack's to go with the cameras. They will need 12v powersupply for each camera. The sensors you could purchase aswell.

I was tempted to install the cameras myself but in fairness to him - he does a very neat job. I would never be able to chase the cables the way he has it done - it’s a bungalow with an attic conversion and the cameras are right in at the eaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

Sorry OP to resurrect the thread, but how long in general should sensors last? I have a mix of shock and contact sensors in an alarm system about 20 years old. How can I test if they are still ok? They have not given any problems so are they good for a few years, or should they be replaced?

Can't find any info on sensor life expectancy, lots of info on how to replace them, but not when!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭altor

Its like saying how long is a piece of string.

I've tested sensors over 25 years old and they working like new.

Advertisement