Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RICO Statute in Ireland?

Options
  • 16-06-2018 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Is it time for something similiar to RICO in Ireland to combat drugs gangs. We also ought to invest in higher than maximum security prisons for drug cartels.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Nice bit of an aul rico statute.

sure it'll be grand

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 19,259 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

que rico OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Sponge25 wrote: »
    Is it time for something similiar to RICO in Ireland to combat drugs gangs. We also ought to invest in higher than maximum security prisons for drug cartels.

We do have an issue with drugs gangs - well tbh it's feuds are the problem rather than drugs gangs cos many drugs gangs operate under the radar and don't be killing people ...which is good cos where else would we get our drugs?

feuds have always existed in Ireland just now the weaponery is better.

But now people like the OP want more laws , more prisons and more oppressive authority because they naively believe these laws will effects "others" ....but that's not the case in it's application in other countries.

Feuds like the current one in Dublin are shocking but advocating less freedom is a terrible price to pay and they won't stop the crime/feuding anyway because they haven't in other parts of the world where the penal system is savage.

I want less laws, less government control of my personal life - because more control is never a good thing. Governments love people in fear cos people as a herd are idiots who will cede their own freedoms for the offer of security.
    F that.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Sponge25

paw patrol wrote: »
    We do have an issue with drugs gangs - well tbh it's feuds are the problem rather than drugs gangs cos many drugs gangs operate under the radar and don't be killing people ...which is good cos where else would we get our drugs?

feuds have always existed in Ireland just now the weaponery is better.

But now people like the OP want more laws , more prisons and more oppressive authority because they naively believe these laws will effects "others" ....but that's not the case in it's application in other countries.

Feuds like the current one in Dublin are shocking but advocating less freedom is a terrible price to pay and they won't stop the crime/feuding anyway because they haven't in other parts of the world where the penal system is savage.

I want less laws, less government control of my personal life - because more control is never a good thing. Governments love people in fear cos people as a herd are idiots who will cede their own freedoms for the offer of security.
    F that.

I'm not afraid, but we have a system that is being played like a fiddle by ruthless thugs. Innocent men are dying. Our policemen aren't even routinely f'n armed. When you let ruthless basilli run free, the entire organ dies. I only propose RICO etc. because not many of you in this country have the stomach or the balls to do what really needs to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Gardaí need to be given the resources and the freedom to do what's needed like they did to stamp out the Limerick gang violence.

Harass them. Sit on them, day in, day out. Make their lives unbearable. Ruin their trade. Get them to turn against each other. Divide and conquer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I'm not afraid, but we have a system that is being played like a fiddle by ruthless thugs. Innocent men are dying. Our policemen aren't even routinely f'n armed. When you let ruthless basilli run free, the entire organ dies. I only propose RICO etc. because not many of you in this country have the stomach or the balls to do what really needs to be done.

You sound ridiculous. I suppose you have the stomach to do it? Are you Duterte?
    If you want the drug war to stop then legalize.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

And you do, and that's why you're proposing RICO on an internet forum. Good work!

What, pray, tell, needs to be done, out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

What, pray, tell, needs to be done, out of interest?

And while you're at it, OP, give us some examples of countries where increasing sentences etc. etc. have shown any results in getting drugs off the streets.

Cause I'm pretty curious about that one

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

We should definitely get an Uncle Rico statue in Ireland.

uncle-rico-film-characters-photo-u1?w=280&h=280&fit=crop&crop=faces&q=50&fmt=jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You say RICO I hear Ricoh.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

No.

The problem with RICO is it gets abused. It was created so you could take down the head of an organisation for the crimes of its foot soldiers. So they could lock up the Don of a Mafia family for the crimes of one of its members. Great right? Even if they say the organisation doesn't exist, if you can prove links between people then boom, RICO.

The problem is you can create connections between anyone with a few degrees of separation. Everyone is susceptible to RICO, and that is its entire point. You can pretty much connect anyone to anyone.

It's a dangerously abused law in America. It was created as a last resort to take down the Mafia, but now they use it for pretty much anyone they want but can't get.

Leave that type of nonsense on the other side of the Ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The Gardaí need to be given the resources and the freedom to do what's needed like they did to stamp out the Limerick gang violence.

Harass them. Sit on them, day in, day out. Make their lives unbearable. Ruin their trade. Get them to turn against each other. Divide and conquer.

There's a lot of criticism of our cops but they were superb in that instance and didn't get the praise they deserved.
    I once firsthand saw the detectives in operation in the central crim court in Dublin in a Limerick gang case and the defence was doing everything to trip them up on subtleties to get their scumbag off. Some men and women. Very accomplished - I have massive respect.

It is resource-heavy to sit on them but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The war on drugs, a roaring success!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

We are screwed if SF get into power as they want to dismantle the SCC, good luck getting anyone to agree to sit on a jury against these lads and not have them threatened/tampered with

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Sponge25

Organised criminals should have their civil rights revoked, they don't respect our rights. Look, I don't live an ivory tower, I've seen what these animals do, not just read about it. My friend was shot twice in the legs. My point is, criminals are destroying entire communities and lives here while the arch scumbags fatten on misery and death. We would be very selective and there would be a process and many fail safes but these animals need to be locked up for natural life with very restricted correspondance etc. So that means they'll have to give up their iPhones in prison. The SCC and AGS ought to be given powers not to merely "harrass" or "divide" criminals but to utterly annihilate them. We know who they are and our patience has it limits. EDIT: I'm not trying to win the drug war with these methods, merely enact justice, the drug war is far broader than what I intended to discuss here and I don't want higher sentences for users. It's the animals I want.

Advertisement