Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyfriend left me with bloody nose and mouth

Options
  • 15-06-2018 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

He has always had a problem with alcohol, he can't just have a few drinks and leave it at that. It ends up being two to three day benders. I work and we have a baby so I am constantly exhausted trying to keep the plates spinning and compensate for what he isn't doing.

Lastnight I asked him a question relating to a rumour I was told and he hit me so hard in the face that my nose bled and my lip was swollen and cut.

I don't know what to do. Or where to start. My heart is still pounding. I got up and went to work but I haven't been able to eat all day. I have vomited twice, I am just so upset and shocked and I don't know where to even begin.

I feel like my life is over. Everything I wanted and planned for. I feel like the worst mother in the world and whether I stay or leave I will be harming my baby.

I honestly wish I could just disappear. My face is sore today, I feel bruised but there's only a cut left on my lip. Otherwise I am okay physically. But mentally I am distraught.

We are together 5 years and in our late 20's.
    Please somebody just tell me I will be okay someday and that this sick feeling doesn't last forever. I just don't know what to do or say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭lurker2000

You poor thing, you have had a terrible experience and you so don't deserve it. I don't know if this is the first time this has happened or if by now your bf has apologised and promised never to do it again but you should know that this lashing out and making promises becomes a cycle. Do you want your child to grow up in that environment? If he is willing to address his behaviour and seek help, I would give the relationship a chance for the sake of your baby but if not, you seriously need to decide if staying is the best for you both. Have you got family or close friends who can help you with emotional and physical support ? Seek these people out and don't hide what's happened. You are not to blame and no person deserves to be a punchbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

End it now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

could you contact womens aid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

He will not Change unless he stops drinking and gets help.i know its a hard thing to do but leave him and leave him now.i promise you he will do this again.hes not worth it no one that does that is.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

1. Tell your parents.
    2. Tell his parents
    3. Immediately move out.
    4. Contact the police
    5. Contact a solicitor
    6. Tell your friends
    7. Block his phone

Personally Id also tell my boss as you will need days off to move.

Do NOT
    1. Let him tell you this was your fault. It is not
    2. Let him apologise, blame, deflect,
    3. Keep this from seeing the light of day.
    4. Hide this
    5. Stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

Stheno wrote: »
    could you contact womens aid?

This is good advice.....with a wee kid in tow....can't exactly walk out and into the night like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Leave. He will be bashing the kids next.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Contact Women’s Aid- they will advise and support you. Both practical and emotional support

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

He's not a boyfriend, he's a bully and an abuser. This may have been the first time he hit you but the emotional abuse of going on benders and abandoning you to be the sole carer of your child is not acceptable either.

Please go to Women's Aid. No second chances, if he'll do it once he'll do it again. Set yourself free, you won't look back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Please tell as many people as you can about this. Your life is in danger. Your baby’s life is in danger. This is how it starts. Yes it’s good for your baby to live with both parents but only if both parents are sane decent people. This baby’s father is a dangerous criminal who could kill you both and sit crying in court that he didn’t know what he was doing because he was drunk.
    Even if you think that you don’t deserve any better, do you not think your baby is worth more than this?
    Gather up some stuff now, go to a safe place, ring the Gardai. Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Contact Garda right away, get out of the house/apartment and get to close family.

Have you brothers or could your dad help you gather your stuff.

Please don't feel like you are alone but get out right away.

No man or woman should hit another.

There are many agency's to help if you have no family to help or friends.

Don't be ashamed or embarrassed or whatever this should never happen and now it has you have a responsibility for your child and yourself.

I really hope you take the advice on here and I appreciate easier said then done but please do and look after your child and of course yourself.

Hope things will be better for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

He will not Change unless he stops drinking and gets help.i know its a hard thing to do but leave him and leave him now.i promise you he will do this again.hes not worth it no one that does that is.
    Best of luck.

These guys will never change, the Op will always remember this and fear will be constantly around the corner or hovering over head.

There's plenty of people who stopped drinking, but only got worse when sober.
    They stop the physical attack, then it goes psychological...playing games with peoples heads, being moody domineering etc

Like you said leave him, he sounds like he's pulling at her heart strings one minute, then pulling the carpet out from underneath her the next.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

One punch from a man to a woman's head can end her life.

RUN

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

Please tell someone and get help to leave. Please don't stay with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Please, don't stay. If this was the first time, it won't be the last. It might not happen again tonight, tomorrow or next week. But it will.

And while you're waiting for it to happen again, do want the toxic anticipation of wondering when he'll walk in the door, drunk? Filled with dread about what kind of mood he'll be in? Do you want to be desperately trying to get your child into bed and hoping they stay there sound asleep so they won't witness, or worse, be subject to a drunken father's anger?

I'm so sorry that this has happened to you. You didn't deserve it. You sound like a wonderful, hard-working mother. Being able to get up this morning and go to work shows how strong you are. You said in your post that whether you stay or leave you're harming your baby. I can promise you that if you leave, you are making the best decision you could ever make for your child. You will be showing your baby that you are willing to turn your own life upside down to ensure that they grow up in a safe, violence-free home.

Call Women's Aid. Call someone, anyone - your parents, a friend, a sibling - and say these 3 words "He hit me". Tell them, and let them help. If you can't call, send those words in a text. They need to know so they can come and help you. DO NOT tell him what you're doing until that person is with you at the very least, ideally leave when he is not there - this is vital to keep you and your baby safe.

I'm not saying it's easy.. I can't imagine how difficult this will be to do. But I am saying that you are able to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

If you decide to go the guards just make sure you don't go back to him after

You'll end up just another domestic situation if they see you going back and forth and reporting incidents

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Once this starts it doesn't stop OP. It actually gets worse as the violence will increase because he got away with it the first time.
    Get out and don't even look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭redshoes15

Alcohol is not to blame for this incident, your partner is. You have a responsibility to the little person in your life to get him/her as far away from this piece of crap as quickly as possible. There should be no second chances. Report the assault to the Gardai and pursue a barring order. Please remember one very important thing, this is not your fault. He has done this once, he will do it again. You control your response to this incident. Don’t let yourself or your little person down. Do the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Frazer600

It's a very frightening position you are in OP. The future is scary and unsure so sometimes what you are dealing with now seems somehow easier. I guess it's the unknown or change Vs what you know and what's familiar. As much as others advise you to go now there may be a voice in your head comparing yourself to other 'domestic or intimate violence victims'. You might even reason that you are different. It was only once, if so. He may even be so remorseful and full of promises that you dearly want to believe him and stay.
    No behaviour of yours warrants him hitting you. Drink cannot be blamed either. It's as plain as that. You have to take steps for your safety. If not then do it for your baby. Life has changed for you, it is your choice now whether you want a peaceful calm one or one where you learn to overlook this punch or the next and maybe even the next. Go to family or a friend. Do not tell him you are going until you have gone. One of the most dangerous times for a woman in a situation like yours is when they are leaving. It may be time you reached down deep and found a strength in yourself that you will look back in wonder at down the road.
    As others have advised contact 'Women's Aid. I wish you the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Many years ago I was with someone like this. At first it started when he was drunk only. So he made me believe once he stopped drinking problem would be solved.
    He didnt and it got worse and started hitting me when sober..even in front of people. He had no shame.
    Get out now because he won't change. IT WILL GET WORSE. I thought I was the only one who understood my ex, because he had me think that. He manipulated me and tried to control every aspect of my life.
    I am married to a wonderful man now who loves me and treats me with respect.
    Confide in someone you trust and make an escape plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Alot of things said here. Agree with it all, getting out is main thing or getting him out. Contact the Garda, even if useless get this stuff on record, would be my main event.

Also, for anyone else. Even in any direction this is unacceptable. Be it a woman hitting a man, a man hitting a man or a woman hitting a woman that type of relationship, you need to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Leave immediately.

Confide in parents/friends.

Report it to the Gardai.

Ignore all contact from him for at least a month.

This will give you time to assess this sh1tstorm

Do NOT accept apologies.

NEVER go back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Uncharted wrote: »
    Leave immediately.

Confide in parents/friends.

Report it to the Gardai.

Ignore all contact from him for at least a month.

This will give you time to assess this sh1tstorm

Do NOT accept apologies.

NEVER go back

No direct contact with him ever again. If he wants to see his baby let him go to the district court and tell the judge why a violent alcoholic should be allowed alone time with a defenseless child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

You poor poor thing it must be awful for you :(

While I wholeheartedly agree with everyone saying report him and leave I understand that this option is very scary for you. How about baby steps.

You have taken the first one by saying it out loud (via boards but it's a start). Maybe next consider calling women's aid as they are there to listen and not judge. Also take photos of the damage to your face and record the incident for when you feel ready to leave/ report him.

None of this is your fault but remember you cannot change him, only he can do that.

Please mind yourself and your baby. You are clearly raising the child pretty much solo so think of the peace of doing what youI are already doing every day without the stress of him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Verity.

Your silence since scares me. I hope you've done the right thing for yourself and you child and got out. I've this awful feeling you will forgive him. No he is not sorry. He doesn't love you, you don't hurt people you love. It wasn't just the drink, he's a príck with no real intention of addressing his drink problem. Any changes are temporary, just to get you back on side. It's begun, so do be prepared for rinse and repeat episodes and each one escalating a bit more in terms of violence. You need to end this now. No you don't need him, no you don't need to stay with him for your child. I conned myself with that bullshít for over a decade, please don't make my mistakes. I eventually copped the fúck on and realised he would never ever change. I'm happily married now, and ending it is the best thing I ever did. I've allowed myself to find happiness, and my children are happy now in a stable home. Staying is not always the best option for you and your children, don't bullshít yourself into thinking that your child will be coming from a broken home. The man who is supposed to love and protect you and your child has broken your home already. Nothing will ever be the same again.

Get out. Report him to the Gardai, and obtain a safety order. Tell your parents and family, friends, anyone who can offer you support. Dont answer his calls or texts, it's poison trying to rope you back in. Change yours and your child's future for the right path NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Been there and done that.please walk away.It doesn't get better.
    Talk to the people you're close to.Don't make a secret of it,it's not your fault.
    You're baby will be fine.She doesn't care if you're together or apart..Lavish loads of love on her and look after yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

your boyfriend is a piece of shít thug.

Dump his ass, take pictures of the bruising and cuts. Then contact the gardai and make complaint of assault. Go to womens aid.

You 100% should leave him or kick him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

OP the one sentence that struck me in your post is that you think you’ll harm your child if you leave.

I grew up watching my father kicking the **** out of my mother on more than one occasion. He would grab her arm and twist it behind her back and push her against the wall. She would cry and beg us to call the parish priest (what good that would do lord knows!). He would hit her. He would throw full plates of dinner against the wall at her head. Eventually, when my older brother got old enough, he moved on to him. Many a bloody nose my brother got from him. And then when I was 13, he threw me on the ground and kicked me in my stomach.

As a child, I would live with a knot in the pit of my stomach wondering what mood he would come home in, as that affected everything. I was an anxious child and I still live with the scars of that.

Do you still think staying is a good idea?

Advertisement