Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing toilet- can’t see mounting bolts

Options
  • 15-06-2018 12:03pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hoping someone can help here. I was fitting a new seat to this toilet and the fittings dropped inside the cavity behind the toilet bowl.

Anyone know how to loosen the mounting bolts on this type of toilet so I can get the fittings back?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

By removing the pan you are going to disturb the toilet outlet to sewer pipe connection and the connection between the cistern and the toilet, leaving yourself with the potential for leaking connections when you put it all back together.
    You do not use standard toilet seats for this type of pan, you need to get one that is suitable for concealed fixing similar to a Bakasan seat.
    If you have already purchased a concealed fittings type of seat, I would suggest you just go and buy a replacement hinge kit, otherwise pop into your local Plumbing Suppliers and explain what type of pan that you have and buy the correct type of seat.
    But taking the pan out in this instance is not worth the potential problems of leaks over a set of replacement hinges or another new seat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

K.Flyer wrote: »
    By removing the pan you are going to disturb the toilet outlet to sewer pipe connection and the connection between the cistern and the toilet, leaving yourself with the potential for leaking connections when you put it all back together.
    You do not use standard toilet seats for this type of pan, you need to get one that is suitable for concealed fixing similar to a Bakasan seat.
    If you have already purchased a concealed fittings type of seat, I would suggest you just go and buy a replacement hinge kit, otherwise pop into your local Plumbing Suppliers and explain what type of pan that you have and buy the correct type of seat.
    But taking the pan out in this instance is not worth the potential problems of leaks over a set of replacement hinges or another new seat.

Hi, thanks for the advice. I’m not sure I get you on the toilet seat type. The one I removed was a standard enough seat. Can you link something you feel is more appropriate?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭xabi

Can’t you get your hand in behind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

You need one like this:
    https://youtu.be/D29v0GuVldk

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The parts the fell into the back of the pan are basically Rawl plugs.
    The toilet set is held in place by an expanding plug. You need to get a hinge set appropriate to the toilet.
    Many replacement seats have a bolt that is threaded thru and hand tightened from the back side.
    The toilet in the picture is not suitable for that type of hinge.
    K.Flyer's advice is bang on both with regards the hinge type and the need to lift the pan.
    There is no point in removing the toilet to retrieve those parts, more scope for issues than it is worth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Sound. Bought the wrong seat. Thanks for the help.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement