Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console cooling

Options
  • 15-06-2018 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Hey I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this.;

Basically I will be building a TV unit / media center in the next few weeks. My issue is that I want to have all my consoles in behind closed doors but I want to keep them cool. The unit will be flush to the wall at the back so they cant vent that way.

I was thinking of getting some quiet fans to provide airflow. I could vent out the side/bottom. What has anyone used or would recommend?

Will keeping the consoles vertical keep them cooler?

This is the style I'm going for.
    ?ui=2&ik=d12828e534&view=att&th=16403052fd582e13&attid=0.2&disp=safe&realattid=1640305d40ebd69cb281&zw

?ui=2&ik=d12828e534&view=att&th=16403052fd582e13&attid=0.1&disp=safe&realattid=16403053250195044af1&zw
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'd start by just putting holes into the sides of the unit, and then see how that goes. You could also put rubber spacers around the door, so that it looks like it closes flush, but also leaves a gap around the door.

See how that goes first, testing the temperature after twenty minutes of graphics intensive gaming, forty minutes, etc.

That'll tell you more about whether you need fans or not. I'd try and avoid powered fans if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

What consoles are you running? The Xbox One X runs hot when playing games for long periods. Not sure about the PS4 Pro but I imagine it is along the same lines.

I have my One X in a cabinet but I NEVER play it unless the cabinet door is wide open. The new generation of Consoles and also the new Sky Q boxes run very hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'd start by just putting holes into the sides of the unit, and then see how that goes. You could also put rubber spacers around the door, so that it looks like it closes flush, but also leaves a gap around the door.

See how that goes first, testing the temperature after twenty minutes of graphics intensive gaming, forty minutes, etc.

That'll tell you more about whether you need fans or not. I'd try and avoid powered fans if possible.

Thanks for that.

My issue is that it has to look like its meant to be there, I could get away with a small vent at ground level but I think that would need a powered fan to be useful.

I could open the inside of the behind the electric fireplace but this may make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

ZiabR wrote: »
    What consoles are you running? The Xbox One X runs hot when playing games for long periods. Not sure about the PS4 Pro but I imagine it is along the same lines.

I have my One X in a cabinet but I NEVER play it unless the cabinet door is wide open. The new generation of Consoles and also the new Sky Q boxes run very hot.

I have a PS4 and a Xbox one s. I might put the ps3 into it too.

In my current unit that has an open back I always open the door for the ps4 but the Xbox one s runs cool enough for the door to be closed

Advertisement