Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticket dilemma....what would you do??

Options
  • 15-06-2018 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Okay folks, my fault I prob.wasn't clear. I won two premium tickets for Taylor Swift tonight. I set up a thread among my friends, who I thought may be fans (few and far between !). Anyway my post was...hi guys, two premium tickets up for grabs, message me, first come first served.

One friend said, yes please....me and ***** would be thrilled. She never asked how much. I said grand, they are yours and she replied "wow, thanks so much" ....the vibe is I aint getting paid for this :eek:

Okay, they didn't cost me anything but I could have got a fair few quid if I put them up on FB, etc..... and I know she's a friend but shouldn't she give me something????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

If I got a message like that, I'd expect they are free.
    You'd get no luck with money you get like that......just my thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

You got them free, dont be greedy.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

You got them free, dont be greedy.

Even a decent bottle of wine??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So hang on, you got them for nothing, and you expect a friend to give you something for them when you give them away.

Have I missed anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Ya hungry pig....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It sounds like you were giving them away. So...now you have to give them away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Okay folks, my fault I prob.wasn't clear. I won two premium tickets for Taylor Swift tonight. I set up a thread among my friends, who I thought may be fans (few and far between !). Anyway my post was...hi guys, two premium tickets up for grabs, message me, first come first served.

One friend said, yes please....me and ***** would be thrilled. She never asked how much. I said grand, they are yours and she replied "wow, thanks so much" ....the vibe is I aint getting paid for this :eek:

Okay, they didn't cost me anything but I could have got a fair few quid if I put them up on FB, etc..... and I know she's a friend but shouldn't she give me something????

Why would you charge “friends” for something you got for free but can’t use??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Unfortunately the way you phrased it sound like they were free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

I get you folks....I do, thanks for putting it into perspective...I'm genuinely not a hungry C**t...:pac:....

I think what is more galling is the fact that the friend in question is not short of a few bob...I would have preferred if someone more strapped got them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

wakka12 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the way you phrased it sound like they were free

Why unfortunately?

I think it's really bad form to think you could charge friends for tickets you got for free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

I get you folks....I do, thanks for putting it into perspective...I'm genuinely not a hungry C**t...:pac:....

I think what is more galling is the fact that the friend in question is not short of a few bob...I would have preferred if someone more strapped got them

Well then why did you include her in the thread......when I've had things like that, I have asked people in the order which I would want them to have the tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Say sorry but you cannot give away free tickets from xxxx source and then sell them and money made! Nobody is any the wiser and its a win win for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

If you paid for them, then couldn't go, then it's a straight up face value to compensate you.
    You won them so making a little earner on them isn't kewl.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Selling something to a friend you got for free? On your bike.

Give them with a good heart or scalp them outside the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Cost you nothing - you've lost nothing- it's nice to be nice OP.

There's no way I'd try to sell my mate a ticket I won in a competition! A stranger yeah, but not a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

A fella I know did same. Won 2 tickets for some concert, couldn't go. So he put up on fb that he would take offers and donate it to the local Cancer charity. Nice idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

Last years Hurling all Ireland final, Galway V Waterford, tickets were like hens teeth. I traveled to Dublin the night before with no ticket, making calls to try to get my hands on one. Anyway a friend of a friend of a friend had a spare ticket for the Cusack stand. Face value €80.
    I arranged to meet him out side the stand prior to the match. I rocked up delighted i was going and shook hands with the man, a man in his 70s. He handed me the ticket and i handed over the €80. He pushed my hand away. 'I got that for free, I'll have no luck taking money from you for it'. I insisted but so did he. I found out his address and also that he had a liking for a drop of whiskey now and then, sent him a nice bottle at christmas.
    Give the tickets to your friend. They're your friend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Then you should not have openly offered them and kept it for someone more strapped . And if you wanted money then why offer them ? You should have flogged them in the first place then .Your own fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Cost you nothing - you've lost nothing- it's nice to be nice OP.

There's no way I'd try to sell my mate a ticket I won in a competition! A stranger yeah, but not a friend.

100%, I’ve won concert tickets and had tickets to Ireland games I couldn’t go to. I’ve always given them away if I couldn’t make it. I’ve also received tickets for shows, games etc that friends couldn’t make it to, for free. It evens itself out over time and if not, what’s the harm I’m not down anything and have great friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,214 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd at least expect a courtesy ride OP.

It's only manners

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Okay, they didn't cost me anything but I could have got a fair few quid if I put them up on FB, etc.....

I doubt it. They were being given away for peanuts or free everywhere this week.

You phrased it in a way that made it sound like they were free. You wouldn't have gotten anything for them anyway. Time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I'd say the way you posted the message sounded like they were for free. However, I'm surprised she didn't offer you something to say thanks, maybe she still will though. Well I think you should just enjoy the fact she's getting a night out and getting a treat( maybe something she's not been able to have for a long time, who knows).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It seems like a delicate situation, just forget about it, shake it off. I guess in their wildest dreams they never thought they had a friend who is so good giving them free tickets, they now look at those tickets and think they are ours.
    In the minds they are thinking 'the story of us' and how they are the lucky ones and if you charge them now and find out you got them for free, they will be thinking how mean you are and might tell you 'look what you made me do' that their friendship with you will never ever ever be getting back together. You will just be a blank space to them and you will be left with teardrops on your pillow from all the bad blood.
    When you know all too well this could be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Doesn’t work like that.as you said yourself first come first served

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I've heard of a few people getting free tickets. i don't think the first show even sold out so adding the second was madness. The prices for most tickets were shocking. I'd say the promoters are just trying to fill the place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Wheety wrote: »
    I've heard of a few people getting free tickets. i don't think the first show even sold out so adding the second was madness. The prices for most tickets were shocking. I'd say the promoters are just trying to fill the place now.

I'm very surprised at that - I've actually just checked on ticketmaster and there are tickets left for tonights show!

I'd actually quite like to see her, but as a 40 odd year old man I might as well be wearing a jimmy saville costume!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I'm very surprised at that - I've actually just checked on ticketmaster and there are tickets left for tonights show!

I'd actually quite like to see her, but as a 40 odd year old man I might as well be wearing a jimmy saville costume!

You need to get with it....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/why-are-middle-aged-men-so-obsessed-with-taylor-swift/

Go and enjoy it, I'm in my early 40's, couldn't careless what people think, I'm going to enjoy myself, she puts on a great concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Last year a call centre I worked in had a competition where the person with best call stats wins two tickets for Electric Picnic. An email went out to everyone to announce that this guy won and 10 minutes later we all got an email from the winner offering the tickets for the price EP tickets were normally sold. No shame.

OP, just stick with it, you did make it sound like the tickets are free. Don't be that guy like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Wheety wrote: »
    I've heard of a few people getting free tickets.

By the sounds of it, the majority of people going tomorrow are going on free tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I'm 41 and I'll be there on my own. Couldn't care less what people think.

Advertisement