Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for a reliable drill?

Options
  • 14-06-2018 8:52pm

I need to buy a drill to assemble a garden table. I'm not a DIY person but I'd like to get a few things that will be in the house when necessary throughout the years.

What drill would you recommend? I've been told it would need to be a rechargeable one with nuts and bolts (that can remove nuts and bolts??). What else should I be looking for? Would I get a reliable one for @€;100?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Just for fiddling about with flat packs I’d go for a battery powered maybe ryobi screwgun. They’d probably call it an impact driver but it’s the one with 2x15 screw settings and one hammer setting.

If you want to drill but just about the house a plug in drill is all you could afford for around that. Get as powerful as you can from any recognized brand name should be fine. Ryobi dewalt Hilti I suppose even black and decker or something like that will do but it depends how hard you want to make it for yourself. A cheap weak drill sounds horrible and takes a lot of time and effort each hole you drill. A good one zips through wall like butter.

Yeah, I'd rather spend the money (within reason) to have something reliable.

How would this De Walt rate? At €165 it's coming up among the cheapest cordless De Walt. What's missing in it? Or should I really be looking for a drill set rather that just a drill on its own?

What's the difference between a Cordless Compact Drill Driver and an Impact Driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Recent thread...

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057875775/1

Having myself gone for the 18V combi drill and impact driver from Makita, I reckon the drill would have done 95% of what I needed.

Yeah, I'd rather spend the money (within reason) to have something reliable.

How would this De Walt rate? At €165 it's coming up among the cheapest cordless De Walt. What's missing in it? Or should I really be looking for a drill set rather that just a drill on its own?

What's the difference between a Cordless Compact Drill Driver and an Impact Driver?
    I think I have that dewalt one myself it’s grand for screwing and drilling plasterboard and plastics and metal but it’d be a struggle to drill a wall. I use it for all of the things above but not drilling walls I have a cordless that’d cost 600-1000 I’m not sure the job buys them for drilling concrete.
    I’d go for a plug in drill for 100-200 for your drilling needs and the dewalt for screwing and furniture flat pack stuff. You can set the dewalt really low speed for the flat pack stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

I think I have that dewalt one myself it’s grand for screwing and drilling plasterboard and plastics and metal but it’d be a struggle to drill a wall. I use it for all of the things above but not drilling walls I have a cordless that’d cost 600-1000 I’m not sure the job buys them for drilling concrete.
    I’d go for a plug in drill for 100-200 for your drilling needs and the dewalt for screwing and furniture flat pack stuff. You can set the dewalt really low speed for the flat pack stuff.
    The kind of mechanism on regular cordless drills is useless for masonry - nothing to do with the price of the drill, you just can't make a drill that's useful for regular stuff and does masonry.

I picked up a €35 SDS corded drill from Lidl for when I'm doing this and it eats walls.

• Advertisement

The kind of mechanism on regular cordless drills is useless for masonry - nothing to do with the price of the drill, you just can't make a drill that's useful for regular stuff and does masonry.

I picked up a €35 SDS corded drill from Lidl for when I'm doing this and it eats walls.

I have a yoke out in the shed I’ll dig it out tomorrow it’s green but not Mikita I think it cost about 120-150 plug in drill. It’s grand for around the house. I used to do nixers with it when I was just qualified. Still works fine near 15 years old.

I have a yoke out in the shed I’ll dig it out tomorrow it’s green but not Mikita I think it cost about 120-150 plug in drill. It’s grand for around the house. I used to do nixers with it when I was just qualified. Still works fine near 15 years old.

Here she is. I’ve refitted bathrooms and hung radiators with it. It’s cheap 15 years old and I hung a mirror with it today.
    I would t recommend it for a tradesman but it’s fine for around the house use

Here she is. I’ve refitted bathrooms and hung radiators with it. It’s cheap 15 years old and I hung a mirror with it today.
    I would t recommend it for a tradesman but it’s fine for around the house use

Thanks. Was in Woodies yesterday and came across this on special for €99 (including bits). Any good?

2vnq2hw.jpg

907wrd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Jaysus, that sign makes no sense:

now: 99.00
    was: 70.99
    save: 169.99

That can't be right at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

colm_c wrote: »
    Jaysus, that sign makes no sense:

now: 99.00
    was: 70.99
    save: 169.99

That can't be right at all!

It's correct on their website, with more detailed spec.

https://www.woodies.ie/blackdecker-18v-combi-drill-in-flight-case-1130819

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    It's correct on their website, with more detailed spec.

https://www.woodies.ie/blackdecker-18v-combi-drill-in-flight-case-1130819

Grand for the price you paid I’d imagine robbery for the price they meant to claim it was but never used one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,789 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Personal opinion but the Black And Decker stuff is rubbish i wouldnt waste my time on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If you don't be using it all that regularly prob as well of getting a plug in one and a decent extension lead. Battery will degrade over time whereas a plug in one won't and will prob get a more powerful one for the money

Advertisement