Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Neighbours

Options
  • 14-06-2018 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi

I'm looking for some advice on how to deal with my noisy neighbors.

I live at home with my family in a semi-detached house and our neighbors have been living next to us for a few years now. From what i gathered, when they first moved in they wanted to build onto our wall, which would leave most our back garden in darkness throughout the day. My dad objected to their building plans, which forced them to move their building plans about 8 feet from our wall. They were extremely bitter and resentful about this as we heard about them taking badly about us.

They decided to install a noisy air conditioning unit right beside our wall and my bedroom window, which is left on all day. We tried to deal with the noise for years until it just became too much to bear. Recently, my dad decided he was going to build onto our extension and install proper insulation to block out the noise.

As soon as he began building we noticed out neighbor peaking through our bushes and loud banging against my bedroom wall at random times from 7am - 1am. After about a month, the banging stopped, but now there is something installed about my bedroom wall which vibrates against my wall and sounds like a drilling noise. This usually comes on only for a couple of seconds from a similar time period, but is loud enough to wake me up.

We had tried mediation in the past about the air condition, but it never worked.

I'm a little lost as to what we could do from this point and any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Try the Council, but they may say it is a "neighbour dispute" that is not for them to resolve and give you a leaflet to that effect.

And/or EPA

All sounds very nasty and .... words fail/ So sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

simple low cost court procedure is now available - even the arrival of the court papers usually stops it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html#l4a9c0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Graces7 wrote: »
    Try the Council, but they may say it is a "neighbour dispute" that is not for them to resolve and give you a leaflet to that effect.

And/or EPA

If the noisy thing 'just' comes on for a while and mediation has been useless you might just have to suck it up. It might be something you might grow deaf to? Neighbours are a total nightmare. Next house I buy will have a big moat and crocodiles.And landmines.

If.you really cannot live with it you could try the district court thing but you have had to show that you were nice and reasonable forst and tried to writr to them to find a solution. Which may not ge what you have in mind. Then it goes before a district judge - no solicitirs involved - jusr a noise thing. Is it a dehumidifier or a power shower or an air vent in a bathroom? I turn off my airvents in the bathroom when I head to hed at night - they drive me crazy. People can oee and flush but Im not listening to rattle and hum all night because they cant hold their beer. :( Sympathies

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If the noisy thing 'just' comes on for a while and mediation has been useless you might just have to suck it up. It might be something you might grow deaf to? Neighbours are a total nightmare. Next house I buy will have a big moat and crocodiles.And landmines.

If.you really cannot live with it you could try the district court thing but you have had to show that you were nice and reasonable forst and tried to writr to them to find a solution. Which may not ge what you have in mind. Then it goes before a district judge - no solicitirs involved - jusr a noise thing. Is it a dehumidifier or a power shower or an air vent in a bathroom? I turn off my airvents in the bathroom when I head to hed at night - they drive me crazy. People can oee and flush but Im not listening to rattle and hum all night because they cant hold their beer. :( Sympathies

Been where the OP is too many times. Specified "no neighbours" for rentals etc but then in deep rural areas there are the crowbangers!

Am safe here so far after one altercation re dogs barking all night. Sorted.

OP try the court option. BUT keep it simple and factual and without emotion.Prepare statement carefully and clearly, listing times and duration. And good luck!

Good ear plugs?

Advertisement