Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard Sligo IT

Options
  • 14-06-2018 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has been accepted to a Springboard course yet?

Yesterday I was offered a Higher Diploma in Science in Computing with Data Analytics/ Software/ IT Infrastructure [1 year Full-time] [September 2018]. I'd love to hear if anyone else was, as we will be classmates! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭OrangeBadger

Have you any experience in this field already? I have been considering going back to education but I find it hard to join the dots between a lot of these courses and actually learning practical skills that you would use.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

No I'm a medical scientist, so completely different!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

I also got accepted to Sligo but for Medical Technologies Regulatory affairs and quality.

Can't wait to get started

Are both of these course taught in class or online?

Mine is online :)

• Advertisement

I hope the courses go well for both of ye :)

I went back to nuig in 2016 to do a masters, within 2 months I knew it had zero substance and was run by people who really couldn't give a toss. It was a very expensive waste of a year. I would love to do one of these courses but only if I believed it would actually provide me with real practical employable skills, not just a bit of paper.

Bitches

Why did you ultimately pick this course over the others?

I am interested in doing one of these courses but I'm finding it hard to cut through all the possible options.

It's the first one that was offered to me so I just accepted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

It's the first one that was offered to me so I just accepted it.

Have you any background in medical devices/regulatory affairs?

I was looking at this one aswell but wasn't sure if I would be suitable? How long were you waiting between applying and being accepted?

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Have you any background in medical devices/regulatory affairs?

I was looking at this one aswell but wasn't sure if I would be suitable? How long were you waiting between applying and being accepted?

About 2 weeks :) I'm going the data one not the medical devices one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 kkeith5

I hope the courses go well for both of ye :)

I went back to nuig in 2016 to do a masters, within 2 months I knew it had zero substance and was run by people who really couldn't give a toss. It was a very expensive waste of a year. I would love to do one of these courses but only if I believed it would actually provide me with real practical employable skills, not just a bit of paper.

Really I applied to Higher Diploma (Software Design and Development)—Industry Stream / ICT Skills in NUIG I thought because u get guaranteed placement it would be good. What did u find bad about the course and did many students get placement it’s hard to find info from people who did that course.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭trafficlight

Hey, Just reading through this thread and I am considering applying for a springboard course in the coming months in Computing and Data Analytics - I am wondering how the people on this thread are getting on so far in their courses. Is the material good - how time consuming on a weekly basis is it (I work fulltime so hoping to do a part time - online). Is the content easy to follow etc.. Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

kkeith5 wrote: »
    Really I applied to Higher Diploma (Software Design and Development)—Industry Stream / ICT Skills in NUIG I thought because u get guaranteed placement it would be good. What did u find bad about the course and did many students get placement it’s hard to find info from people who did that course.

Thanks

i did course back in 2016-7 for networking/IT and have to say standards were quite low for acceptability, these colleges get 3-5k per head in grants, to fill in seats so nice chunk of cash. Thou each course id imagine is different, my main issue there were two lecturers, one highly skilled but close to retirement who couldn't give a toss, would sit in his office for most of the evening. younger one was really someone who made it interesting. hardest part is once your really done, theres some help they will get few agencies to work with people to get CVs and placements, main issue depending on location and availability some just end after few months and your left stuck with entry skills and minimum to none experience, other companies might have better prospects and be willing to train and have you long term depending on existing skills and if you add value. in general id say out of 30 people only 2-5 ended up on full time jobs upon completion. As depending on the niche one has to remember they drop out few hundred people each year with same skills, and demand is really low so best to do research in advance on numbers and job availability.

Advertisement