Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless alarm with basic sim self monitoring

Options
  • 14-06-2018 11:30am

Moving into our house in Cork (kinsale) soon and I would like to get some recommendations for a good installer who sells high quality wireless systems that I can monitor myself using a sim. Willing to spend to get a good system.

As you can tell I know very little about alarms but I do know that I dont want phonewatch or to be tied in to a monitoring contract. happy to pay for a pay as you go sim for some remote functionality.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi

Most of the modern systems out there offer self monitoring over IP for free.
    GSD and Siemens Vanderbilt are the 2 most popular with us.
    Siemens Vanderbilt would also have the option of a SIM back up where you could use your own sim on a pay as you go basis.
    Be careful not to get tied into any long term commitments that are going to tie you to one provider for the life of the system. Those costs are only going to go one way.

Thanks for the quick reply KoolKid.

I see HKC systems recommended on here also. Are they comparable to GSD and the siemens systems? Price comparable? Quality similar?

The IP monitoring is great and will use same but will probably got with a sim unit also. Are the key fobs for systems expensive?
    I see most offer one per system but would one for me and one for the wife a better idea/esential?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

They are all comparable and they all conform to the same EN standards.
    With HKC you will not be able to use your own sim. You will have no free option and you will be tied to ongoing payments to their securecom service for the life of your alarm.

KoolKid wrote: »
    They are all comparable and they all conform to the same EN standards.
    With HKC you will not be able to use your own sim. You will have no free option and you will be tied to ongoing payments to their securecom service for the life of your alarm.

Good info thanks

Any recommendations for installers in Cork who offer a range of self monitoring installations?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Any recommendations for installers in Cork who offer a range of self monitoring installations?

Best to contact multiple installers in the area, ask do they supply systems like this * and if they do, ask them to come around, spec up a system and give you a quote. Then go from there.

* Many don't, many will only do HKC with the fee, so you might have to contact a few until you find ones that suit.

bk wrote: »
    Best to contact multiple installers in the area, ask do they supply systems like this * and if they do, ask them to come around, spec up a system and give you a quote. Then go from there.

* Many don't, many will only do HKC with the fee, so you might have to contact a few until you find ones that suit.

Ill do that and see how I get on. Will no doubt be back for more advice and I appreciate the assistance so far.

Sent you a PM of some good versatile installers in Cork.
    Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mraie

Could you pm me the same list as I am interested in a similar solution

mraie wrote: »
    Could you pm me the same list as I am interested in a similar solution
    Are you around Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mraie

Yep, living in cork

Sent you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Moving into our house in Cork (kinsale) soon and I would like to get some recommendations for a good installer who sells high quality wireless systems that I can monitor myself using a sim. Willing to spend to get a good system.

As you can tell I know very little about alarms but I do know that I dont want phonewatch or to be tied in to a monitoring contract. happy to pay for a pay as you go sim for some remote functionality.

You can also add a GSM to most systems to self monitor and remote access to the alarm using your own sim card.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Fatmeathman

Hi all can you PM me some versatile installers for self monitoring Siemens systems in Meath please

Sent you a PM or a company that would install most systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

looking for a Cork installer also, want to alarm the place! would you mind sending me the PM

thanks

Sent you a PM with contact details for a couple of good installers down that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Also looking for installation in the Cork area. Few disturbing things happening in the area at the moment and Mrs Bionic is looking for me to secure the house. Could you please PM me the details also KoolKid.
    Thanks

Hi
    Sent you a PM with details of some good installers down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭henryd65

Hello Koolkid,

Could you please send me that list for Cork City.

I'm looking for an easy to use system for my elderly parents, they do not have a system installed already.

Thanks

• Advertisement

PMed you some good contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I was going to start a thread but Koolkid can you send me a list of installers that cover county Meath also? The PSA list in the suppliers/installers sticky is a broken link :(

Primarily interested in finding out more about the Vanderbilt system (wired?) in case that makes a difference

Advertisement