Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a car in the UAE

Options
  • 13-06-2018 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got offered a position in the UAE to start in August. I'll have rent a car so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in doing so? Is it expensive?

Thanks

Mars Bar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Hi all,

I got offered a position in the UAE to start in August. I'll have rent a car so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in doing so? Is it expensive?

Thanks

Mars Bar

Depends on how long your contract is. Most people buy if they’re staying over 2 years, less than that leasing is an option. Minimum rate for leasing is around €350 per month (1,500 aed). That would include insurance and service. Petrol is obviously cheap. Changing your drivers license is required if you become resident.

You can only lease or buy when you have your Emirates ID organized so most rent for a couple of months to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What's the difference between renting and leasing?

I'll have a 3 year contract but I don't want to buy and commit incase it doesn't work out. Thinking of leasing for a year and then making a decision on purchasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Mars Bar wrote: »
    What's the difference between renting and leasing?
    You cannot lease a car until you are resident I.e. you receive your national Emirates ID card. Leasing is usually for a minimum of 6 months I think.

Before then you can short term rent based on your passport and Irish drivers license.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

HonalD wrote: »
    You cannot lease a car until you are resident I.e. you receive your national Emirates ID card. Leasing is usually for a minimum of 6 months I think.

Before then you can short term rent based on your passport and Irish drivers license.

Thanks for that information!

Advertisement