Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Finding out a UK cat N history and insurance

Options
  • 13-06-2018 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Looking at buying something that ive been told is a catN uk vehicle however is there any way of knowing what exactly happened to it. Been said to me its a new bumper but ya just cant take anyones word for it these days who selling you something. Id want to check was there other damage apart from this.

What about insurance, do all insurance companies insure catN or is there only a select few if even.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

General info - Cat S and Cat N insurance write-off classifications have replaced the old Cat C and Cat D groups
    Cat N classification has replaced the old Cat D group, and the ‘N’ stands for "non-structurally damaged".

Cartell have some more info https://www.cartell.ie/how-it-works/help/write-off-help/

Have the car inspected by a reputable mechanic or the AA or similar. They will tell you in anything is wrong.
    If in any doubt just dismiss it and keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

biko wrote: »
    General info - Cat S and Cat N insurance write-off classifications have replaced the old Cat C and Cat D groups
    Cat N classification has replaced the old Cat D group, and the ‘N’ stands for "non-structurally damaged".

Cartell have some more info https://www.cartell.ie/how-it-works/help/write-off-help/

Have the car inspected by a reputable mechanic or the AA or similar. They will tell you in anything is wrong.

Did the check online and its saying cat N but cant find any other info on it. Asked the seller what was wrong with it and he said last owner put a new bumper on but ya know what sellers are like! If it was a bumper, i wouldnt mind however if it was air bags and other damage i dont know if id take a chance. Cat N seems to be the lesser of all the evils thou but what would the worst case cat N be

biko wrote: »

How much to get a vehicle checked by the AA or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How cheaper is the car over a non Cat N write off? Just remember that it will be a write off for like including when you try and sell it. As for the story from the seller about it only being a bumper, let them prove it I say.

bazz26 wrote: »
    How cheaper is the car over a non Cat N write off? Just remember that it will be a write off for like including when you try and sell it. As for the story from the seller about it only being a bumper, let them prove it I say.

He was looking normal price however i want it cheaper now if i go through with it. Esp after an AA test but dont even know how much a test is.

• Advertisement

Guys like these are buying cheap Cat N/D write offs in the UK for a fraction of the price of a normal car and then selling them on here at full value to poor saps who don't do basic checks. The fact he didn't disclose it was a Cat N write off up front and price it accordingly would give me doubts around his integrity as a motor trader and anything that comes out of his mouth about the car's history.

I'd rather pay a bit more for a car with a clean history or if I wanted to buy a cheaper write off, I'd go to the UK myself, get a proper engineer's inspection carried out on it there than paying a middle man here a hefty markup.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Guys like these are buying cheap Cat N/D write offs in the UK for a fraction of the price of a normal car and then selling them on here at full value to poor saps who don't do basic checks. The fact he didn't disclose it was a Cat N write off up front and price it accordingly would give me doubts around his integrity as a motor trader and anything that comes out of his mouth about the car's history.

I'd rather pay a bit more for a car with a clean history or if I wanted to buy a cheaper write off, I'd go to the UK myself, get a proper engineer's inspection carried out on it there than paying a middle man here a hefty markup.

Do catNs get insurance here in ireland. I know some in uk dont insure them.

I've no idea to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,426 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

kingbhome wrote: »
    Do catNs get insurance here in ireland. I know some in uk dont insure them.

It can be difficult to insure them here with some companies, even CAT D/N

Advertisement