Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a Kia Carens

Options
  • 13-06-2018 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I previously posted here re getting advice on a suitable family car for 3 kids (including infant).

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057833146/1/#post105924324

As stated in that thread, my wife will primarily be the driver and will do a daily commute of about 15km's (Dublin city driving) 4 days a week so 60 Km total. Every 6 weeks or so a long motorway drive will be done (450km approx).

I have disregarded the XC60 as only diesel available and I have liked the look of a Kia Carens (petrol).

Budget of about €17K and will buy in the UK. The only problem is that there are very few petrol ones on Autotrader (as in only 3 for the entire UK for 15 reg and no petrol ones here).

What do you reckon? Is it a waste of time considering a car that will be rare and thus possibly not too desirable when it comes to re sale?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,420 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Even the petrol Carens is only €390 tax, so I wouldn’t say it would be saleproof. Mechanically it would have the same 1.6 GDI engine as a Hyundai Veloster or Hyundai Tucson. There would certainly be takers for the car down the road. Your biggest issue with resale is that the Carens isn’t the first time thing you’d think of if looking for an MPV, so even a diesel one won’t have rock solid residuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Even the petrol Carens is only €390 tax, so I wouldn’t say it would be saleproof. Mechanically it would have the same 1.6 GDI engine as a Hyundai Veloster or Hyundai Tucson. There would certainly be takers for the car down the road. Your biggest issue with resale is that the Carens isn’t the first time thing you’d think of if looking for an MPV, so even a diesel one won’t have rock solid residuals.

What MPV would you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,420 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In my opinion, high residual values are only really relevant to people buying new. If a car really does depreciate more then it’ll be better value to buy used, don’t get hung up on it. If you’re looking at petrol MPVs your options are limited enough, and the carens gives you the simplicity of a non turbocharged engine, not bad performance, and the mega warranty.

You could maybe look at a Toyota Prius+
    A 2013 would end up around €17k

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201805126447926?model=PRIUS%2B&advertising-location=at_cars&exclude-writeoff-categories=on&sort=sponsored&make=TOYOTA&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&price-to=14000&year-from=2013&postcode=ln12na&page=1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,548 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Wife drives a Carens, diesel, would have got a petrol one but fairly rare. Fine car. Good space, nice to drive, won't break the bank, warranty is second to none, a lot of positives. Doesn't drive aswell as an Smax for example, but most won't. Residual value varies depending on how much you bought if for and in particular how long you plan to hold onto it for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

For your requirement, I would look at PHEV if possible. See what you could get from Outlander in UK. Or even the Kia Niro which is lovely car but might be outside the budget.

With the distance you are travelling most if not all of the journey will be on the battery in either vehicle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement