Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEO - External Applicant

Options
  • 13-06-2018 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭

I've been called for an interview for a HEO position based in Dublin. A quick Google and I see mentions of presentations and competency based questions used when forming a panel etc.

I'm currently working in the private sector so this is all relatively new to me. HR didn't mention a presentation in the email or call I had. Is this something that comes up all the time?

Format of the interview, how many sit on an interview panel? How long do the interviews generally last? Is there a predetermined layout I should prepare for?

I've done competency based interviews before so that's no problem but just reading some of the threads on here about HEO competitions have me more confused than anything.

Any advice or preparation people can point me to? Or even old threads on here that are useful. (There are so many)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Midlandian

Hi OP, I'm in a similar position. Called for interview for HEO next week. Also totally unfamiliar with the public sector. Have you had your interview, how did you get on? Fingers crossed it all went well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 elbundy

hi im in a similar position, how did it go? any advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭duffman13

elbundy wrote: »
    hi im in a similar position, how did it go? any advise?

Prepare well, the interview went really well, I fell down in the area of policy as I hadn't worked much on policies in my career to date and that was my short fall. If you've leadership skills and experience you've a great chance but prepare a good answer for policy, on my feedback it was where I fell down.

Note the role I applied for wasn't a competition and I didn't have any presentation or anything to do.

ah ok thanks for that, just curious what type of policy question (s) did they ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭duffman13

elbundy wrote: »
    ah ok thanks for that, just curious what type of policy question (s) did they ask?

Nothing particularly difficult, just what kind of policy experience do you have! I had some specific once to my previous role but it wasn't really enough. Depending on the role you may be responsible for implementing a policy etc, I knew the actual policy detail well but it was the lack of experience in that area that was my downfall apparently.

• Advertisement

ah ok, i understand, thanks- Good info.

Advertisement