Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert subject choice

Options
  • 13-06-2018 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm going into transition year next year but want to pick my subject choice sooner rather than later. I have enjoyed business and am thinking of doing business and economics.I really enjoy history and geography however a lot of people are saying they are not as intresting for leaving cert. I done Tech graphics for junior cert but hate the teacher and thinking of becoming an electrician when I'm older so just wondering is construction a good subject without doing woodwork for junior cert. I have to pick 4 out of the following 8 and keep changing my mind so looking for a few other opinions : BUSINESS, ECONOMICS, CONSTRUCTION, HISTORY, GEOGRAPHY, SPANISH, PHYSICS AND BIOLOGY. I only want to do one science though and really torn on whether to leave out Spanish to do construction business economics and a science.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Business, Economics, Construction (if you can do it without JC wood) and Physics?

Or...Spanish, Economics, Construction and Physics? To keep your options open for third level (European language).

Is DCG not offered at LC in your school? You will meet lots of people you don't like in life and it would be a useful subject for an electrician to understand.

If you know for sure you will not change your mind about getting an electrical apprenticeship, then (if possible) Construction, DCG, Business and Economics would be a good choice.

Up to you of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sam20028

Hi DCG is available but I really don't get along with the teacher and this has caused me to hate the subject and yes I would be allowed to do construction just wondering would I be far behind and I have to keep a science subject as that is a requirement for a lot of the places I have been looking at for an apprenticeship

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would have a chat with the people in LC DCG. Many times as students get older, teachers they saw as cranky start to grow on them, especially at Leaving, where the teacher has people in his class who like the subject and want to do it, who are not there because they 'have to do it'. DCG would be useful for an electrician and would be a terrible thing to drop it.

Physics would seem to be the obvious choice for an electrician.

I think you'd catch up pretty quick in Construction. Are you good with your hands? Do you do neat work? Can you measure accurately? Accuracy and neatness count in Construction practicals. Many of your skills from Tech Dr. even if you didn't like it, will be useful in Construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lildaisy

In regards to construction its very doable without JC woodwork.

I did both JC woodwork and leaving cert construction. You see woodwork isnt a huge huge part of construction. The only thing you should be able to do is a 4 hour exam here you make something out of wood. I know a few people who didnt do JC WW and they got on fine.

The exam is 50/50. 50% written exam and 50% on an experiment , your project with portfolio and your 4 hour exam.

Your project doesnt have to be woodwork based. This year most of my class did a project on construction. Roofs, walls, windows etc doesnt require any fancy stuff, just some glue to be honest. lol. The only part that requires the skill of woodwork is your 4 hour exam and honestly its not that bad. you will be able to learn in two years

Now in terms of your other subjects (only as long as you like them )try and do history or geography. They both have projects in them. buy a revise wise and look through them to see the content. I did geography and honestly a project is a life saver because at least if the exam doesnt go your way youre more than half way to a pass (in HL)

And then last but not least , as the person above said physics seems like a go to for an electrician. If you like maths, go with physics if you like A LOT of words go with biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Thr000w

I wouldn't recommend Biology if you're looking for a H1. The subject is extremely popular and is thus curved extremely brutally. If you're looking for a H3, it's probably easier than other subjects, but at the highest level you're competing with the pre-med sorts and they're very good at it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement