Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling a TV licence

Options
  • 13-06-2018 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Folks, quick one for you. I have a TV licence till end of year.

I am leaving the country and renting out the property.

Can I cancel my TV licence and let the tenant take care of it? do you know how? I would like to be sure to not incur in any fine

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

tubridy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Bye !

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

Not following lads...what's up??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

If you pay by dd, just cancel the DD, when you plan to vacate the property., assuming this coincides with the expiry date on the licence.
    If you have paid up front, then you don't need to do anything after it expires as you will no longer be living in the property/country and thus do not have a responsibility to have a TV licence.

TheShow wrote: »
    If you pay by dd, just cancel the DD, when you plan to vacate the property., assuming this coincides with the expiry date on the licence.
    If you have paid up front, then you don't need to do anything after it expires as you will no longer be living in the property/country and thus do not have a responsibility to have a TV licence.

Just want to avod getting a letter with my name on it at my house address requesting to renew the licence. I guess that if I don't communicate I am leaving they will look for renewal, don't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

I'd say thats unavoidable, their systems are not that sophisticated.
    Try ringing them but be prepared for frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

are you leaving your telly there or will the tenants provide their own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

TheShow wrote: »

Actually just read the terms last month when renewing. It's not sold prorata irrespective of DD, so you're liable for the full year even if you just need it for a month

Skerries wrote: »
    are you leaving your telly there or will the tenants provide their own?

tenants will use their own TV

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Actually just read the terms last month when renewing. It's not sold prorata irrespective of DD, so you're liable for the full year even if you just need it for a month

Yes, cannot have the unused months back. Just want to be sure to not get any letter to my name asking for TV licence...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You could email them at Dublin.TVLicence@anpost.ie

Advertisement