Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying and selling - UK to Ireland - on the side

Options
  • 13-06-2018 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I imported a car from a family member who works in the car trade in the UK. In fact, a lot of his business is selling to Irish buyers. I got my current car off of him and recommended that I look into selling it and getting another one and to repeat it until the loan is more or less paid off.

So the car I have is worth somewhere in the region of 20k, based of Carzone, though that has quite varying prices.

My concern is that buyers would not be interested in forking over such a large sum of money on the private market, so this idea could never work.

Is there any advice or routes I should check out? Is my concern well-founded? Would a local dealer sell a car on my behalf in such a way that it would still be worth doing?

I am not looking to make a living out of it, but taking chunks off the loan would be great. I guess this could help on the private market as the price I would pitch the cars at would not be greedy, or at least not too greedy :p

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

bbk wrote:
    I am not looking to make a living out of it, but taking chunks off the loan would be great. I guess this could help on the private market as the price I would pitch the cars at would not be greedy, or at least not too greedy

You need to make yourself aware of the rules from Revenue, you could end up with a large bill. Also it's a crowded market. Every Tom,Dick and McDonagh is at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If I had to choose between a high-cost private sale "sold as seen", and a high-cost dealer sale with warranty etc I think I'd go with the dealer.

I doubt a dealer will sell your cars for you, taking al the reputation risk while you gain financially with minimal risk.

That said, if you know local dealers personally and can make it worth their while they may be interested, go ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Selling a car soon after buying it would be a issue for a lot of people, especially an expensive import.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Thanks for the comments.

I've had the current car for a year and a bit but any ones after that, I'd have hoped for quicker turnaround.

Much to think about!

Advertisement